From: jacko on
I think it was a high level language feature first.

Are you talking of indexed indirect addressing mode (reg+#immediate)
or the link unlink instruction sets for setting the stack pointer?
Would the 6502 8 bit micro (ZZ),Y mode count? Or are you more PDP-11?

From: MitchAlsup on
The most memorable hardware structure is the vector indirect
addressing mode.

Mitch
From: Andrew Reilly on
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:39:12 -0700, MitchAlsup wrote:

> The most memorable hardware structure is the vector indirect addressing
> mode.

I had a soft spot for the 3D-matrix-stride post-modify addressing mode
that the Motorola 56000 had, for a while. (The processor still has the
mode, I'm no longer so sure it was a good idea...) Certainly memorable.

Cheers,

--
Andrew
From: nmm1 on
In article <27ebdb37-e3ba-4559-be7d-d7f3b6613d77(a)30g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
MitchAlsup <MitchAlsup(a)aol.com> wrote:
>The most memorable hardware structure is the vector indirect
>addressing mode.

Yes. There were and are more bizarre ones, but they are Not Memorable
(see Sellars and Yeatman).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Jonathan Bromley on
On Mar 30, 10:38 am, n...(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:

> Yes.  There were and are more bizarre ones, but they are Not Memorable
> (see Sellars and Yeatman).

Ooooh, I like that. Always good to bring a bit of high culture
into the discussion.

It may be Memorable, hut was it a Good Thing?

_Sellar_ and Yeatman, I think you'll find (without the trailing 's').

Thanks for tickling a long-dormant and much cherished memory.
--
Jonathan Bromley