From: Ben Myers on
On 6/4/2010 1:36 PM, me(a)privacy.net wrote:
> "William R. Walsh"<wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Were it not for HP's needlessly bloated software, I would recommend
>> their mid-range printers easily.
>
> I do like a few thing abt HP over others
>
> the power supply is a separate "brick" and not built in
>
> and I think they play well with Linux too yes?
>
> I do need Linux compatibility as engineering campus
> heavily Linux based too
>
> my plans are to run virtual machine software on
> desktop....so can have windows AND Linux virtual
> computers

If you want guaranteed long-term Linux (or even another OS like OS X or
Windows), get yourself an inkjet printer that produces PostScript
output. Despite efforts by HP and others to foist off their proprietary
printing languages and even the Win printers (UGH!), PostScript still
sets the standard for far-reaching compatibility.

Second choice is an HP printer, only because Linux provides drivers that
work with most any printer WITH HP'S PRINTER CONTROL LANGUAGE (PCL), not
their stinking Windows printers which are not compatible with anything
except the Windows version for which drivers were written. And yes, HP
provides god-awful bloatware for its printers. Most of the other
printer manufacturers seem to be following suit, though... Ben Myers

From: RnR on
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 12:38:04 -0500, me(a)privacy.net wrote:

>"William R. Walsh" <wm_walsh(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>You need to define low use. Is that once a week, once a month or less
>>than that, even?
>
>well.....once a week....just a few pages
>
>I will likely use the campus printers for the bulk of
>stuff
>
>but on snowy and icy days its a real pain to run to
>campus JUST for a printout

You might, if your budget allows, look longer term. After you get
outa school, you will have a need for a printer too and might want to
consider a laser printer instead. Upfront cost will cost more but the
price per page is cheaper than inkjet. You'll have to decide whether
you need a color laser or just black and white. As to brands, I've
had HPs laserjets and Canon inkjets and sometimes months go between
uses and never had a problem with clogs or such. I use the inkjet
printers mainly for the color prints otherwise I like the HP laserjet
due to print speed. That said, I imagine the lastest of both are
even faster now.
From: Boris on
me(a)privacy.net wrote in news:n4ei06pn776snve2emvi2g8o59ft1h8kvi(a)4ax.com:

> powrwrap <powrwrap(a)aol.com> wrote:

>>> yeah after some research I'm starting to thinking
>>> sticking with inkjet...... and putting a reminder in my
>>> online calendar to just print a page once a week to
>>> keep heads "open"
>>
>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828102430&cm_re=p
>>ixma_mp560-_-28-102-430-_-Product
>

> yep saw that yesterday
>
> it is definitely on the short list

I have 3 in the family. They are pretty good.
From: Doug on

> Hmmm. Interesting discussion. I have a question: Why are virtually all
> wireless printers built with 802.11g when 802.11n went final long ago?
>
> Yes, you certainly can find native .11n printers, but there are
> very few of them. Even brand new PIXMAs have .11g wireless. Why not use
> .11n?
>
> Daddy

To widen the target pool.

Not everybody has "N."

Virtually everyone who has wireless has "g."

AFAIK Everybody who has "N" also has "g."

i.e... a printer based on "g" works for virtually everyone with wireless.

From: Ron Hardin on
me(a)privacy.net wrote:

> I don't need a duplexer nor fax.
>
> Ink jets sound like they will clog up if not used
> daily.
>
> Laser toner apparently spews fine particles in the home
> and is messy.
>
> What decent printer can I buy for an engineering
> student who needs color 8.5 x 11 output? But low use as
> the campus has printers as well?
>
> I'm willing to spend no more than $350...maybe a bit
> more

I print a 4x6 picture and short .txt page every two weeks to keep the cheap Dell
printer that they used to give away with Inspiron laptops clear. That seems to be
working. If not, just raise the rate.

The advantage of Dell ink jet is that you get a new mechanism with the ink change,
which at least keeps you from having to buy a new printer.

Printing only income tax forms once a year does not work well.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com