From: John Oliver on
We have a T1, and we're adding a second from the same provider to bond
with the first. It's possible that, at some point, we might want to add
a third. We have a PIX firewall on the inside that handles VPNs, NAT,
etc. I don't think the router needs to do anything but handle raw
connectivity.

I'm having a tough time finding out what's the difference between 1800
series vs. 2800 series, or 2801 vs. 2810 vs. 2811 And then the 2600
series seems to still be sold... I thought they'd be pretty ancient, but
if they'll do the job...

From: Walter Roberson on
In article <slrnel49jq.q1v.joliver(a)ns.sdsitehosting.net>,
John Oliver <joliver(a)john-oliver.net> wrote:
>We have a T1, and we're adding a second from the same provider to bond
>with the first. It's possible that, at some point, we might want to add
>a third.

>I'm having a tough time finding out what's the difference between 1800
>series vs. 2800 series, or 2801 vs. 2810 vs. 2811

1800 series:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/prod_models_comparison.html
Notice the lack of T1 support on the WAN, with the exception
of the 1841 which supports WICS and HWIC

2800 series:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/prod_models_comparison.html
Even the smallest supports HWIC/VWIC/WIC/VIC

Have a close look at Table 8 of
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_data_sheet0900aecd8016fa68.html
to locate the kind of T1 modules you want to support. At a quick glance,
if you want your T1 channelized you would need an NM- series, which would
require a 2811 or upwards -- the 1800 series and the 2801 do not support
NM modules. If you do not need your T1 channelized then one of the many
WIC or VWICs might be appropriate; find the type you need, count the ports,
count the slots you would need to support your target of 3 T1s, and
that will tell you the minimum device to use.

>And then the 2600
>series seems to still be sold... I thought they'd be pretty ancient, but
>if they'll do the job...

You need an upper end 2600 in order to support 3 T1. The 1800 and 2800
series are much faster, but even so are only aimed at about 3 T1 (2821) or
about 5 T1 (2851), if I recall the marketting literature. The router
line rate performances would seem to suggest that they would support
noticably more T1's, but the third party test report suggests the
marketted target is about right.
From: www.BradReese.Com on
Hi John,

You may also wish to investigate the Cisco Router Port Matrix:

http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-router-port-matrix.htm

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
Cisco Tools
http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-tools.htm

From: Bod43 on

www.BradReese.Com wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> You may also wish to investigate the Cisco Router Port Matrix:
>
> http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-router-port-matrix.htm

Unless it was MUCH cheaper I would not consider a 2600.

From: John Oliver on
On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 19:10:02 GMT, Walter Roberson wrote:
> In article <slrnel49jq.q1v.joliver(a)ns.sdsitehosting.net>,
> John Oliver <joliver(a)john-oliver.net> wrote:
>>We have a T1, and we're adding a second from the same provider to bond
>>with the first. It's possible that, at some point, we might want to add
>>a third.
>
>>I'm having a tough time finding out what's the difference between 1800
>>series vs. 2800 series, or 2801 vs. 2810 vs. 2811
>
> 1800 series:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/prod_models_comparison.html
> Notice the lack of T1 support on the WAN, with the exception
> of the 1841 which supports WICS and HWIC
>
> 2800 series:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/prod_models_comparison.html
> Even the smallest supports HWIC/VWIC/WIC/VIC
>
> Have a close look at Table 8 of
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5854/products_data_sheet0900aecd8016fa68.html
> to locate the kind of T1 modules you want to support. At a quick glance,
> if you want your T1 channelized you would need an NM- series, which would
> require a 2811 or upwards -- the 1800 series and the 2801 do not support
> NM modules. If you do not need your T1 channelized then one of the many
> WIC or VWICs might be appropriate; find the type you need, count the ports,
> count the slots you would need to support your target of 3 T1s, and
> that will tell you the minimum device to use.
>
>>And then the 2600
>>series seems to still be sold... I thought they'd be pretty ancient, but
>>if they'll do the job...
>
> You need an upper end 2600 in order to support 3 T1. The 1800 and 2800
> series are much faster, but even so are only aimed at about 3 T1 (2821) or
> about 5 T1 (2851), if I recall the marketting literature. The router
> line rate performances would seem to suggest that they would support
> noticably more T1's, but the third party test report suggests the
> marketted target is about right.

Thanks, but... all of that info is part of my problem :-) There are
30,000,000 different things that these routers do or support, and I
don't know what the heck most of them are :-)

We're just using it for data T1s. 1.544 Mb/s Voice is on a separate
T1, so no channelization.

Looking at all that info is just overloading me... it doesn't come out
and say "This router will let you install X WICs, and this one will let
you install Y WICs" That should be all I need to know... we just want
to buy it with two WICs and be able to add at least one more at some
point in the future. We need one Ethernet coming out to go to the PIX
and that's it. I don't care how much RAM, CPU, which IOS, etc. it has
as long as two or three T1s can be connected and it can handle
"converting" them to Ethernet. that's it... no fancy ACLs, no bizarro
networking, no Token Ring or proprietary interfaces.

Can I put three WICs in a 2801? Or do I need a 2811 or something else?
I just can't tell from the mountains of information Cisco provides about
these things :-)

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: VPN Problems