From: zoara on
David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> pfgpowell <pfg.powell(a)virgin.net> wrote:
>
>> I am considering getting an Intel Macbook/Macbook Pro and for money
>> reasons it will have to be secondhand. Can anyone advise me known
>> issues which sometimes crop up with particular models, and which
> > model
>> might be the one to go for?
>
> All of the earlier models have issues which need to be considered.
> Unless otherwise noted, everything is 15" or 17" models.
>
> 1. MacBook Pro (Early 2006): 1.83, 2.0 or 2.16 GHz Core Duo
>
> I'd avoid these for four reasons: Core Duo processor is 32-bit only,
> maximum RAM is 2 GB, no Firewire 800, and they are known to get very
> hot
> and have a lot more fan noise than later models as a result.
>
> 2. MacBook Pro (Late 2006): 2.16 or 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
>
> These ones are reasonably good, apart from maximum memory capacity (3
> GB). The Core 2 Duo processor gives 64-bit support.

From personal experience, I can say that these also get very hot. I took
two back because they ran very hot out of the box (the casing above the
F-keys was too hot to touch). The third one was better but now it's
working harder than it was when I bought it, it's uncomfortable after
half an hour on my lap. I usually rest it on some newspaper.

I'm considering working out the cheapest upgrade I can do to get one
that runs cooler. I don't really need more speed or anything else, but
the heat is really irritating.

-z-

--
email: nettid1 at fastmail dot fm
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-26 22:30:31 +0100, David Empson said:

>>> 5. MacBook Pro (15" Late 2008): 2.4, 2.53, 2.66, 2.8 or 2.93 GHz Core 2
>>> Duo
>>>
>>> First models with the new "Unibody" design. This series still has a
>>> removable battery. New graphics controller supports additional features
>>> such as hardware decoding of H.264 video.
>
> This series does NOT have an NVIDIA 8600M GT, so it is safe.

These are the models with two GPUs? The default one is the 9400M, but
the one you can switch into (log out + log in) for better performance
*is* the 8600M GT.

<http://www.lowendmac.com/macbookpro/15in-macbook-pro-oct-2008.html>
--
Chris

From: David Empson on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> > This series does NOT have an NVIDIA 8600M GT, so it is safe.
>
> These are the models with two GPUs?

Yes, these are the models with two GPUs.

> The default one is the 9400M, but the one you can switch into (log out +
> log in) for better performance *is* the 8600M GT.

No, the second one is a 9600M GT, which does not suffer from the same
defect as the 8600M GT.

> <http://www.lowendmac.com/macbookpro/15in-macbook-pro-oct-2008.html>

Which confirms what I said. No menion of "8600" anywhere on that page,
but plenty of "9600".

Perhaps you slipped a bit while reading the page? :-)

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: David Empson on
zoara <me18(a)privacy.net> wrote:

> David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> > pfgpowell <pfg.powell(a)virgin.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I am considering getting an Intel Macbook/Macbook Pro and for money
> >> reasons it will have to be secondhand. Can anyone advise me known
> >> issues which sometimes crop up with particular models, and which
> > > model
> >> might be the one to go for?
> >
> > All of the earlier models have issues which need to be considered.
> > Unless otherwise noted, everything is 15" or 17" models.
> >
> > 1. MacBook Pro (Early 2006): 1.83, 2.0 or 2.16 GHz Core Duo
> >
> > I'd avoid these for four reasons: Core Duo processor is 32-bit only,
> > maximum RAM is 2 GB, no Firewire 800, and they are known to get very
> > hot
> > and have a lot more fan noise than later models as a result.
> >
> > 2. MacBook Pro (Late 2006): 2.16 or 2.33 GHz Core 2 Duo
> >
> > These ones are reasonably good, apart from maximum memory capacity (3
> > GB). The Core 2 Duo processor gives 64-bit support.
>
> From personal experience, I can say that these also get very hot. I took
> two back because they ran very hot out of the box (the casing above the
> F-keys was too hot to touch).

My third gen model (mid 2007) did that if I was running anything too
graphics intensive for a long time, or the CPU was working flat out, or
both. In moderate use it was fine.

I have friends with the 2nd gen model and I recall them complaining
about the heat occasionally, so good point worth noting.

The 1st gen was MUCH worse than the 2nd gen. A friend burnt himself on
one (due to prolonged contact without being aware of it until too late),
without it working very hard.

> The third one was better but now it's working harder than it was when I
> bought it, it's uncomfortable after half an hour on my lap. I usually rest
> it on some newspaper.
>
> I'm considering working out the cheapest upgrade I can do to get one
> that runs cooler. I don't really need more speed or anything else, but
> the heat is really irritating.

I haven't had extensive use of the earlier unibody models, but my mid
2010 entry level 15" has rarely if ever been more than "somewhat warm".

About to stress test it by running Starcraft 2 later this week. We'll
see how it copes.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-27 09:32:19 +0100, David Empson said:

> Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

>>> This series does NOT have an NVIDIA 8600M GT, so it is safe.
>>
>> These are the models with two GPUs?
>
> Yes, these are the models with two GPUs.
>
>> The default one is the 9400M, but the one you can switch into (log out +
>> log in) for better performance *is* the 8600M GT.
>
> No, the second one is a 9600M GT, which does not suffer from the same
> defect as the 8600M GT.
>
>> <http://www.lowendmac.com/macbookpro/15in-macbook-pro-oct-2008.html>
>
> Which confirms what I said. No menion of "8600" anywhere on that page,
> but plenty of "9600".
>
> Perhaps you slipped a bit while reading the page? :-)

Luckily for me (I have such a MBP) I did misread 9600 as 8600 :-)
--
Chris