From: SM on
David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> > The third one was better but now it's working harder than it was when I
> > bought it, it's uncomfortable after half an hour on my lap. I usually rest
> > it on some newspaper.
> >
> > I'm considering working out the cheapest upgrade I can do to get one
> > that runs cooler. I don't really need more speed or anything else, but
> > the heat is really irritating.
>
> I haven't had extensive use of the earlier unibody models, but my mid
> 2010 entry level 15" has rarely if ever been more than "somewhat warm".

I've had an i7 15" MBP for a few weeks and it seems to run a lot cooler
than my partner's 2007 MBP, nicer keyboard and much better wifi
reception.

At the moment it's just slightly warm - presumably using the Intel HD
Graphics rather than the GT 330M. I say presumably since I'm not sure
there's any way to tell which GPU is in use.

It also seems to handle Flash content better than the MacBook it
replaced. The white MacBook would spin up its fans playing Fash video,
but that might be explained by the recent update from Adobe.

I've had the 13" MacBook 2GHz since 2007 and would recommend those to
the OP - they're pretty tough and good all round with great wifi
reception. One design flaw is the top surface cracks along the front
edge which requires a new keyboard assembly. Currently Apple seem to do
this repair for free although mine has AppleCare.

Stuart
--
cut that out to reply
From: SM on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> >> These are the models with two GPUs?
> >
> > Yes, these are the models with two GPUs.
> >
> >> The default one is the 9400M, but the one you can switch into (log out +
> >> log in) for better performance *is* the 8600M GT.
> >
> > No, the second one is a 9600M GT, which does not suffer from the same
> > defect as the 8600M GT.
> >
> >> <http://www.lowendmac.com/macbookpro/15in-macbook-pro-oct-2008.html>
> >
> > Which confirms what I said. No menion of "8600" anywhere on that page,
> > but plenty of "9600".
> >
> > Perhaps you slipped a bit while reading the page? :-)
>
> Luckily for me (I have such a MBP) I did misread 9600 as 8600 :-)

My partner's MBP a 2007 (IIRC) 3,1 version with the 8600M GT failed a
few weeks ago. Several others bought in as a batch for her university
have also failed recently - definately a dodgy buy.

Stuart
--
cut that out to reply
From: David Empson on
SM <info(a)that.sundog.co.uk> wrote:

> David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> > > The third one was better but now it's working harder than it was when I
> > > bought it, it's uncomfortable after half an hour on my lap. I usually rest
> > > it on some newspaper.
> > >
> > > I'm considering working out the cheapest upgrade I can do to get one
> > > that runs cooler. I don't really need more speed or anything else, but
> > > the heat is really irritating.
> >
> > I haven't had extensive use of the earlier unibody models, but my mid
> > 2010 entry level 15" has rarely if ever been more than "somewhat warm".
>
> I've had an i7 15" MBP for a few weeks and it seems to run a lot cooler
> than my partner's 2007 MBP, nicer keyboard and much better wifi
> reception.
>
> At the moment it's just slightly warm - presumably using the Intel HD
> Graphics rather than the GT 330M. I say presumably since I'm not sure
> there's any way to tell which GPU is in use.

System Profiler will show which graphics controller is active. Look
under Graphics/Displays for the one which shows the connected display.

There is a free third party tool which shows an "i" or "n" in the menu
bar to indicate Intel (integrated) or NVIDIA (dedicated).

Have a hunt for "gfxCardStatus" at the usual sites.

It has the ability to force the NVIDIA to go active, but I haven't tried
that. I occasionally run it if I want to know which one is active.

I found that running _any_ PowerPC application (via Rosetta) requires
the NVIDIA to be active. Gives me a greater incentive to retire Eudora.

> It also seems to handle Flash content better than the MacBook it
> replaced. The white MacBook would spin up its fans playing Fash video,
> but that might be explained by the recent update from Adobe.

Could be, but Adobe hasn't yet released a Mac version of Flash which
makes use of hardware acceleration for playing H.264 video in Flash
(apart from an early beta version). More likely that Flash is being
confined to one virtual core and not using all of one CPU core.

Other aspects of Flash (general animation) typically hog as much CPU as
possible. I was much happier about the temperature of my mid 2007
MacBook Pro after I started using ClickToFlash.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: David Empson on
SM <info(a)that.sundog.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Yes, these are the models with two GPUs.

> > > No, the second one is a 9600M GT, which does not suffer from the same
> > > defect as the 8600M GT.

> > > Which confirms what I said. No menion of "8600" anywhere on that page,
> > > but plenty of "9600".
> > >
> > > Perhaps you slipped a bit while reading the page? :-)
> >
> > Luckily for me (I have such a MBP) I did misread 9600 as 8600 :-)
>
> My partner's MBP a 2007 (IIRC) 3,1 version with the 8600M GT failed a
> few weeks ago. Several others bought in as a batch for her university
> have also failed recently - definately a dodgy buy.

Except that Apple has stood behind it and repaired every one with that
fault for free, and will continue to do so at least until June 2011 (for
MacBook Pros originally bought in June 2007).

Mine got fixed with one day turnaround, replacing the motherboard.

As I said earlier, you should be pretty confident of getting a good one
if it has already had the repair. The replacement parts should be using
a revised 8600M with the problem fixed, otherwise Apple is shooting
themselves in the foot.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: SM on
David Empson <dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz> wrote:

> > My partner's MBP a 2007 (IIRC) 3,1 version with the 8600M GT failed a
> > few weeks ago. Several others bought in as a batch for her university
> > have also failed recently - definately a dodgy buy.
>
> Except that Apple has stood behind it and repaired every one with that
> fault for free, and will continue to do so at least until June 2011 (for
> MacBook Pros originally bought in June 2007).
>
> Mine got fixed with one day turnaround, replacing the motherboard.

Her was fixed quickly too.

> As I said earlier, you should be pretty confident of getting a good one
> if it has already had the repair. The replacement parts should be using
> a revised 8600M with the problem fixed, otherwise Apple is shooting
> themselves in the foot.

Sure, but I'd still be wary buying second-hand.

Stuart
--
cut that out to reply