From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
Tch. In May I bought a 2gig SODIMM for the new Mini - �21. Just now,
two more identical ones for the new 13" MBP (shiny!) - �34 each.

What happened? Did someone burn down a semiconducter factory, like
back in the 90s?

Plus, when the Mini comes with a 2gig stick and an empty slot, what
possible excuse is there for the MBP coming with 2x1gig? Grrr.

I've got a two inch stack of waste SODIMMs, almost entirely thanks to
Apple. Most are 512meg DDR2, but there's an increasing number of 1gig
DDR2 and DDR3... if anyone can make use of some, let me know.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I have an asteroid named after me. Isaac Asimov's got one too.
It's smaller and more eccentric." -- Arthur C. Clarke
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2009-11-02 20:49:45 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh
<jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> said:

> Tch. In May I bought a 2gig SODIMM for the new Mini - �21. Just now,
> two more identical ones for the new 13" MBP (shiny!) - �34 each.

Yes, that's dead annoying. VMware is chugging a bit with only 2GB in the host.

> What happened? Did someone burn down a semiconducter factory, like
> back in the 90s?

Dunno. But when are the prices coming back down again?

> Plus, when the Mini comes with a 2gig stick and an empty slot, what
> possible excuse is there for the MBP coming with 2x1gig? Grrr.

Cheapness. Or they've got a warehouse full and need to shift them.

--
Chris

From: Matthew Sylvester on
Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:

> there's an increasing number of 1gig DDR2 and DDR3... if anyone can make
> use of some, let me know.

Worth noting that the 1gig sticks from the MBP13 fit nicely in the spare
slots in the iMac27 to take it up to 6gig
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 21:51:37 +0000, matthew.sylvester(a)gmail.com
(Matthew Sylvester) wrote:

>Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie(a)sometimes.sessile.org> wrote:
>
>> there's an increasing number of 1gig DDR2 and DDR3... if anyone can make
>> use of some, let me know.
>
>Worth noting that the 1gig sticks from the MBP13 fit nicely in the spare
>slots in the iMac27 to take it up to 6gig

Heh. Yes, I have rather been eyeing up the iMac27... but I don't have
�1700 spare now I've splashed �750 on the MBP (refurb 2.26GHz, rare
beasts that they are!). Plus nearly �70 for the extra RAM, of course.
Mutter.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
A Jesus of mass J travelling at a speed of 27 meters/second collides with a
stationary Moses of mass M. Assuming any elastic deformation is lossless and
From: Justin C on
In article <46hue5l6adctonkorl97l6j278gall9uie(a)4ax.com>, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> Tch. In May I bought a 2gig SODIMM for the new Mini - �21. Just now,
> two more identical ones for the new 13" MBP (shiny!) - �34 each.
>
> What happened? Did someone burn down a semiconducter factory, like
> back in the 90s?
>
> Plus, when the Mini comes with a 2gig stick and an empty slot, what
> possible excuse is there for the MBP coming with 2x1gig? Grrr.
>
> I've got a two inch stack of waste SODIMMs, almost entirely thanks to
> Apple. Most are 512meg DDR2, but there's an increasing number of 1gig
> DDR2 and DDR3... if anyone can make use of some, let me know.

Two inch? That's nothing! I recently got rid of about twenty 1MB simms,
plus dozens of 4MB, 16MB, and $DEITY knows what else, and every single
one of them cost a lot more than you're quoting!

Justin.

--
Justin C, by the sea.
 |  Next  |  Last