From: Jon Danniken on
"John(a)Smith.com" wrote:
> "Jon Danniken" wrote:>
> >"John(a)Smith.com" wrote:
> >> My old Abit via 333 board PC keeps freezing and in the event viewer I
> >> see an error with this nvidesm. Says corrupt data structure.
> >> Looked it up and its mentioned a lot but theres no clear reference to
> >> what it is.
> >
> >It seems to be a component of the nForce chip on your mainboard;
> >specifically one that controlls the IDE port. I would reinstall the
correct
> >chipset drivers from nvidia.
> >
> >Jon
>
> Now that interesting since I would suspect that too. However Im using
> an old VIA chipset board. The interesting thing here is I MOVED my
> hard disk with WIN XP which was used on a nforce2 board. So that seems
> to imply I still have the drivers right? The thing there is I
> UNINSTALLED all the old drivers and reinstalled the old VIA stuff so
> that it would work with it.
>
> It could be that its all screwed up and not everything was
> uninstalled. correctly.

You might be able to get by with uninstalling the IDE controllers in Device
Manager, and making sure that there are no pointers to the old nVidia
drivers in your registry or your services (if it is run as a service).

Next step up would be a repair install. Personally, I'd try the first
option and see if it rectified the situation, but you'd be well advised to
research this more and *at the very least* have a full backup before you do
anything..

Jon

From: John@Smith.com on
On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:27:00 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
<jonREMOVETHISdanniken(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Next step up would be a repair install. Personally, I'd try the first
>option and see if it rectified the situation, but you'd be well advised to
>research this more and *at the very least* have a full backup before you do
>anything..
>
>Jon

Yeah I was thinking about that but then I decide to just install my
second PCs HD that had WN XP on it to test it out and use my other
WINXP HD from the PC I sold as a second HD and it works fine so that
implies that it was the WIN XP HD install on the second HD.

At first I thought it was a hardware problem. I really need a second
HD. If I was smart I would create a small partition just for the OS on
my 200 gig around 20-40 gigs for WIN XP and then buy a 60-80 gig just
to have it lying around to back up data etc everytime I had to
reinstall.