From: willbill on
Why 2 different WD models? 300GB 10k RPM SATA

I just spent 40 minutes on USA 800 275-4932 with Western
Digital Support, and then transferred to sales (LOL!)

Still don't have an answer. :(

Newegg shows 2 different 300GB 10k SATA VelociRaptor drives:
1) WD3000HLFS $200
see: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136322
2) WD3000GLFSRTL $240
see: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136375

What does the above, more expensive unit, offer over the cheaper unit?

Meaning, what real difference is there between these 2 WD hard
drives. Since there's $40 difference and different model numbers,
you'd think it'd be obvious.

... but it isn't obvious.

I want to use one of these drives in raid (0 or 1, whichever adds them) as my
boot drive in my new desktop PC, together with an older 10k 150GB SATA Raptor.

Given that the above cheaper unit ($200 WD3000HLFS) has 496 user comments,
vs 9 comment for the $240 unit, I'm thinking that the $200 WD3000HLFS
is the one to go with for my needs.

If you can help on why the $240 unit even exists, I'd like that a lot.

Bill
From: Rod Speed on
willbill wrote:

> Why 2 different WD models? 300GB 10k RPM SATA

> I just spent 40 minutes on USA 800 275-4932 with Western
> Digital Support, and then transferred to sales (LOL!)

> Still don't have an answer. :(

> Newegg shows 2 different 300GB 10k SATA VelociRaptor drives:
> 1) WD3000HLFS $200
> see:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136322 2)
> WD3000GLFSRTL $240 see:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136375

> What does the above, more expensive unit, offer over the cheaper unit?

> Meaning, what real difference is there between these 2 WD hard drives.

The RTL drives are retail kits, not just a bare drive.
https://westerndigital.com/en/library/2579-701261.pdf

> Since there's $40 difference and different model numbers, you'd think it'd be obvious.

> ... but it isn't obvious.

Yeah, the WD web site isnt very good in that respect.

> I want to use one of these drives in raid (0 or 1, whichever adds
> them) as my boot drive in my new desktop PC, together with an older
> 10k 150GB SATA Raptor.

> Given that the above cheaper unit ($200 WD3000HLFS) has 496
> user comments, vs 9 comment for the $240 unit, I'm thinking that
> the $200 WD3000HLFS is the one to go with for my needs.

Depends on whether you are happy with a bare drive or not.

From: Mike Tomlinson on
In article <mvg7q5duks6rmairhrtluqra7bhbiko7pq(a)4ax.com>, willbill
<post(a)onNG.net> writes

>Newegg shows 2 different 300GB 10k SATA VelociRaptor drives:
>1) WD3000HLFS $200
> see: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136322

A bare drive

>2) WD3000GLFSRTL $240
> see: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136375
>
>What does the above, more expensive unit, offer over the cheaper unit?

The second is the retail version. It'll come in a pretty box with
instructions and a copy of cloning software. It _may_ have a longer
warranty than the OEM - you'd need to check.

>Meaning, what real difference is there between these 2 WD hard
>drives.

None.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

From: willbill on
Sun, 21 Mar 2010 03:14:41 +0000, Mike Tomlinson <mike(a)jasper.org.uk> wrote:

> In article <mvg7q5duks6rmairhrtluqra7bhbiko7pq(a)4ax.com>, willbill
> <post(a)onNG.net> writes
>
> >Newegg shows 2 different 300GB 10k SATA VelociRaptor drives:
> >1) WD3000HLFS $200
> > see: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136322
>
> A bare drive
>
> >2) WD3000GLFSRTL $240
> > see: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136375
> >
> >What does the above, more expensive unit, offer over the cheaper unit?
>
> The second is the retail version. It'll come in a pretty box with
> instructions and a copy of cloning software. It _may_ have a longer
> warranty than the OEM - you'd need to check.

Geez! How did I miss that? <sheepish grin>

Thank you!

But it may (or may not?) be more than that.

The question that I failed to ask is: does the 1st drive
have a SATA connector?

Disappointed in myself that I didn't ask *that* question;
i.e. when I spoke to *two* WD people (for 40 minutes).

The drives do appear to be different. For one thing
slightly different cooling fins, and also the cheaper
$200 drive is marked (on the WD site) as being
"backplane ready"

Another shocker was that I could not pull up a .pdf manual
for either unit, so that I could find pictures of the connectors.

Came away from that figuring I needed a couple days
to regroup before doing anything. <shaking head>

Again, thank you for the help.

Bill