From: Daniel Prince on
I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have been using
as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now says that the drive is
unformatted. When I run the Seagate DiscWizard program it says that
sector 92 is unreadable.

I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. I
suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
through Windows. Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
I can use to access my data? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
From: za kAT on
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:51:10 -0700, Daniel Prince wrote:

> I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have been using
> as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now says that the drive is
> unformatted. When I run the Seagate DiscWizard program it says that
> sector 92 is unreadable.
>
> I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. I
> suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
> through Windows. Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
> I can use to access my data? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Pooh sayz you are in the deep poo.

Yank talk = you're fucked.
--
zakAT(a)pooh.the.cat - www.zakATsKopterChat.com
From: Arno on
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Daniel Prince <neutrino1(a)ca.rr.com> wrote:
> I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have been using
> as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now says that the drive is
> unformatted. When I run the Seagate DiscWizard program it says that
> sector 92 is unreadable.

> I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. I
> suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
> through Windows. Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
> I can use to access my data? Thank you in advance for all replies.
> --
> Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
> grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
> REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

First, make a sector image to a different drive. Then work on that.
The risk of doing more damage when working on the only copy is
high.

Side note: Data you have only one copy of, you could as well have
no copy of.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Daniel Prince" <neutrino1(a)ca.rr.com>

| I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have been using
| as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now says that the drive is
| unformatted. When I run the Seagate DiscWizard program it says that
| sector 92 is unreadable.

| I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. I
| suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
| through Windows. Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
| I can use to access my data? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Did you run SeaGate SeaTools on it ?

--
Dave

From: Dave Doe on
In article <q45bq5h8s55vp6ogcpq6ocd5k67ihnr0g5(a)4ax.com>, neutrino1
@ca.rr.com says...

> I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have been using
> as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now says that the drive is
> unformatted. When I run the Seagate DiscWizard program it says that
> sector 92 is unreadable.
>
> I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. I
> suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
> through Windows. Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
> I can use to access my data? Thank you in advance for all replies.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Ideally, run the testdisk program from the location you want to save
your files (ie a removable drive, or another disk drive) - as that's
where it'll save everything.

From the sounds of it, TestDisk will get all your data back, perhaps
less a file or two from the damaged area.

--
Duncan.