From: Rod Speed on
Daniel Prince wrote

> I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have
> been using as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now
> says that the drive is unformatted. When I run the Seagate
> DiscWizard program it says that sector 92 is unreadable.

> I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up.
> I suspect that most of the data is still there but just not
> accessible through Windows. Is there a good freeware
> or shareware program that I can use to access my data?

You dont say how it was formatted. If it was formatted
NTFS, you can find that a Linux live CD can see the data
on the drive when Win claims that its unformatted.

If that doesnt work, I like Easy Recovery Pro
myself, but it isnt free unless you steal it.

From: Maurice Helwig on
Daniel Prince wrote:
> I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have been using
> as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now says that the drive is
> unformatted. When I run the Seagate DiscWizard program it says that
> sector 92 is unreadable.
>
> I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. I
> suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
> through Windows. Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
> I can use to access my data? Thank you in advance for all replies.
> --
> Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
> grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
> REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

Use a Live Linux CD to boot up the Computer and see if you can see the
drive. If you can then you should be able to copy the files to a DVD
using the burner on the live linux CD.

I have done this once for a friend in desparate need of her Tax data,
and was surprised just how easy it was to do.

I used Knopix version 3.6 which I still cary around in my software toolkit.

MAKE BACKUPS IF ALL YOUR DATA - even the data on your Memory stick.

I lost data (a lot of notes) when my Corsair Memory stick failed. I got
a new one under its 3 year warranty but that did not replace the notes I
lost.

Maurice helwig
From: Man-wai Chang to The Door (33600bps) on
> I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up. I
> suspect that most of the data is still there but just not accessible
> through Windows. Is there a good freeware or shareware program that
> I can use to access my data? Thank you in advance for all replies.

Is it still accessible? Back up IMMEDIATELY!

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.33.1
From: Daniel Prince on
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Daniel Prince wrote
>
>> I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have
>> been using as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now
>> says that the drive is unformatted. When I run the Seagate
>> DiscWizard program it says that sector 92 is unreadable.
>
>> I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up.
>> I suspect that most of the data is still there but just not
>> accessible through Windows. Is there a good freeware
>> or shareware program that I can use to access my data?
>
>You dont say how it was formatted. If it was formatted
>NTFS, you can find that a Linux live CD can see the data
>on the drive when Win claims that its unformatted.

It was formatted NTFS. Which version of Linux live CD do you
recommend?

>If that doesnt work, I like Easy Recovery Pro
>myself, but it isnt free unless you steal it.

--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Daniel Prince" <neutrino1(a)ca.rr.com>

| "Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>Daniel Prince wrote

>>> I have a Seagate 300 gig IDE drive (not SATA) that I have
>>> been using as a data drive. Windows XP Home SP3 now
>>> says that the drive is unformatted. When I run the Seagate
>>> DiscWizard program it says that sector 92 is unreadable.

>>> I have a lot of data on the drive that I have not backed up.
>>> I suspect that most of the data is still there but just not
>>> accessible through Windows. Is there a good freeware
>>> or shareware program that I can use to access my data?

>>You dont say how it was formatted. If it was formatted
>>NTFS, you can find that a Linux live CD can see the data
>>on the drive when Win claims that its unformatted.

| It was formatted NTFS. Which version of Linux live CD do you
| recommend?

Did you run SeaGate SeaTools like I asked ?

--
Dave