From: Alfred Molon on
In article <1MqdnXkqAdq-5TLWnZ2dnUVZ_qydnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
alan.browne(a)FreelunchVideotron.ca says...
> With 24 Mpix cameras, shooting raw (and sometimes both raw and JPG) the
> need for higher capacity is clear enough.

SD cards come in sizes up to 32GB, which should be more than enough also
for a 24MP camera.
--

Alfred Molon
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 03:24:10 -0500, John Turco <jtur(a)concentric.net>
wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>>
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/pentax645d-1st.shtml
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> Finally, we heard complains from several photographers about
>> bended pin issues with CF cards that, considering the main target
>> usage of the camera, we wanted to avoid also.
>

>Whoa, there..."bended" pins? What the hell kind of pidgen English
>is THAT?
>
>Luminous Landscapes must've been seized by those same nefarious,
>syntax-challenged Chinese spammers that you so despise, Rich!

Look out: The grammar police are here!
From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
Alfred Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article <1MqdnXkqAdq-5TLWnZ2dnUVZ_qydnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> alan.browne(a)FreelunchVideotron.ca says...
>> With 24 Mpix cameras, shooting raw (and sometimes both raw and JPG) the
>> need for higher capacity is clear enough.

> SD cards come in sizes up to 32GB, which should be more than enough also
> for a 24MP camera.

640k ought to be enough for anyone, right?

-Wolfgang
From: Wolfgang Weisselberg on
Robert Sneddon <fred(a)nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> It would be very difficult to build a storage device in a CF-card-sized
> format with 50 exposed wiping contact areas similar to the SD card as
> they would have to be tiny and hence prone to contamination. It would
> also result in yet another storage device format incompatible with
> existing devices, readers etc. We've been through this waltz before with
> Sony's proprietary MemoryStick.

Or with the ever changing, always limited by storage SD/MMC
format. Yes, physically they might be similar, but to drive
them you need the newest firmware, which may or may not be
available. I'd prefer a hard cut with a new interface (maybe
modelled after SATA when it comes to the meaning of contacts)
to yet another round of 'buy a new card reader because the
old one doesn't work with them SD card --- wonder if the card
is broken'. (And guess what, the SATA interface is coming.
And not needing new drivers, just new connectors.)

> There are 64Gb SDXC cards being sampled currently from manufacturers
> like Toshiba with reported write speeds of 35Mb/sec.

So? 100GB CF cards were shown on photokina --- 2008(!).
And the same company (Pretec) did show 50GB CF cards with
50MB/sec at the same show.

They now offer 100MB/sec @ 32GB and 85 MB/sec @ 64GB (writing
speed).
Who wants slow SDXC cards?

> The SDXC format has
> been specified to support up to 2TB of data on a single card of
> identical size to the existing SD family.

The current CF spec allows 128 Petabyte (Pebibyte) and it's printed
capacity will be 144PB. That's about 64.000 2TB SDXC cards.
The SD spec carussel will turn ever faster ...

And it's still compatible (both ways) to the first CF cards.
And it's easy to replace a hard drive with a CF card.

-Wolfgang
From: Gary Edstrom on
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 22:31:49 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
<ozcvgtt02(a)sneakemail.com> wrote:

>640k ought to be enough for anyone, right?
>
>-Wolfgang

I go back further than that, to when having 64k was just a dream!

I never had more than 48k in my very first computer: An IMSAI 8080 back
in 1976...and that required 6 fully populated full length boards!

Gary