From: Jarek Duda on
Spin corresponds to magnetic dipole moment of particle, so in
inhomogeneous magnetic field their trajectories are modified
accordingly to alignment of its spin axis (Stern-Gerlach experiment).
But as I know, photon's trajectories aren't changed in strong magnetic
fields, what suggests that they should be spin 0...

So I wanted to ask why in 'common knowledge' photons are said to be
spin 1 particles?

I've asked this question a few times in different discussions, like to
Uncle Al
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics/browse_thread/thread/4c9918f700d3f207/d06e44263601ee9a?lnk=raot
and I didn't get any concrete argument. Attraction/repellence can be
transferred even by waves in water.

The only reasonable argument I know is that while for example electron
deexcitation, spin is changed by one, so spin conservation says that
photon has to carry spin 1...
But let's look at it - electron e.g changes from spin up to spin
down.
Giving photon spin 1 makes that this change is kind of transformation
happening in one line (its spin axis).
But there is also much simpler explanation: that this electron is just
rotated 180 deg - in this case photon doesn't have to carry spin, but
angular momentum, what can be done much simpler - even waves in water
can do it on short range...
???
From: eric gisse on
Jarek Duda wrote:

> Spin corresponds to magnetic dipole moment of particle, so in
> inhomogeneous magnetic field their trajectories are modified
> accordingly to alignment of its spin axis (Stern-Gerlach experiment).
> But as I know, photon's trajectories aren't changed in strong magnetic
> fields, what suggests that they should be spin 0...

The photons aren't the things that are being changed. Go read your modern
physics textbook again.

> So I wanted to ask why in 'common knowledge' photons are said to be
> spin 1 particles?

It is explained in particle and quantum physics textbooks.

[snip rest, unread]
From: Jarek Duda on
Uncle Al, aluminum-27 and scandium-45 would be split in Stern-Gerlach
- I have no problem with their nonzero spin.
As You have said on the linked thread "Photons are inert to electric
and magnetic fields in vacuum to at lest 10^9 gauss, lab on a small
scale (particle accelerators' magnetic and electric detectors) and by
observation of pulsars. "
How to cope it with nonzero spin?

eric gisse - if it's so obvious, please give me one good argument.
From: Jarek Duda on
Another argument that nonzero spin particles should have internal
magnetic structure:
Look at quantum rotation operator - while using it to make full
rotation around spin axis, the phase rotates 'spin' times - that means
around this axis the phase makes rotation.
Quantum mechanical formulation of electromagnetism says that phase
change along path is proportional to integral of electromagnetic four-
potential along this path - so while making loop around this axis - we
see that there is magnetic flux through it.
Nonzero spin particle's trajectory should be influenced by
inhomogeneous magnetic field accordingly to alignment of this magnetic
flux going from trough the particle.
From: Jarek Duda on
Another argument that nonzero spin particles should have internal
magnetic structure:
Look at quantum rotation operator for particle with spin - while using
it to make full rotation around spin axis, the phase rotates 'spin'
times - that means on loops around this axis the phase makes rotation.
Quantum mechanical formulation of electromagnetism says that phase
change along path is proportional to integral of electromagnetic four-
potential along this path - so while making loop around this axis - we
see that there is magnetic flux going through it.
Nonzero spin particle's trajectory should be influenced by
inhomogeneous magnetic field accordingly to alignment of this magnetic
flux going trough the particle.