From: Michael Coles on
Michael, neither LINQ to SQL nor EF 1 currently supports table-valued
parameters.

--
Thanks

Michael Coles
SQL Server MVP
Author, "Expert SQL Server 2008 Encryption"
(http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430224649)
----------------

From: Michael C on
"Michael Coles" <admin(a)geocodenet.com> wrote in message
> Michael, neither LINQ to SQL nor EF 1 currently supports table-valued
> parameters.

Thanks Michael, that is exactly what i have been saying all along. I presume
the fact you left out plain linq that means it is possible. And presumably
for LINQ to SQL and EF it would just be a limitation of the code generator
which could be corrected with some very simple code changes.

Michael

From: Michael Coles on
> "Michael Coles" <admin(a)geocodenet.com> wrote in message
>> Michael, neither LINQ to SQL nor EF 1 currently supports table-valued
>> parameters.
>
> Thanks Michael, that is exactly what i have been saying all along. I
> presume the fact you left out plain linq that means it is possible. And
> presumably for LINQ to SQL and EF it would just be a limitation of the
> code generator which could be corrected with some very simple code
> changes.

Sorry, you'll have to explain to me what "plain LINQ" is exactly? Is that
the LINQ standard query (sequencing) operators as expressed by the standard?
If so, SQL Server table-valued parameters don't apply to that level of
detail, which is why they're not part of the .NET Standard Query Operators
(http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/8/6/5868081c-68aa-40de-9a45-a3803d8134b8/standard_query_operators.doc)
or the C# 3.0 specification
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms364047(VS.80).aspx).

Of course I could be wrong. If we're talking about another LINQ provider
that currently implements SQL Server TVPs, perhaps you can point us in the
direction of that LINQ provider? The only application I'm currently aware
of that uses SQL Server TVPs is SQL Server 2008, but I gave up on trying to
keep track of LINQ providers after LINQ to Twitter.

From: Michael C on
> Sorry, you'll have to explain to me what "plain LINQ" is exactly? Is that
> the LINQ standard query (sequencing) operators as expressed by the
> standard? If so, SQL Server table-valued parameters don't apply to that
> level of detail, which is why they're not part of the .NET Standard Query
> Operators
> (http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/8/6/5868081c-68aa-40de-9a45-a3803d8134b8/standard_query_operators.doc)
> or the C# 3.0 specification
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms364047(VS.80).aspx).
>
> Of course I could be wrong. If we're talking about another LINQ provider
> that currently implements SQL Server TVPs, perhaps you can point us in the
> direction of that LINQ provider? The only application I'm currently aware
> of that uses SQL Server TVPs is SQL Server 2008, but I gave up on trying
> to keep track of LINQ providers after LINQ to Twitter.

I'm just talking about linq to objects. If we're using linq to objects to
format data for a parameter object to call an ADO command object. eg

SqlCommand command = CodeToCreateMyCommand();
command.parameters["MyTableVariable"].Value = ResultsFromMyLinqQuery();
command.Execute();

Basically what I am saying is that linq to objects can be used to work with
table variables.

Michael

From: Michael Coles on
I see you're using an ADO.NET SqlCommand and .Executing it your example
below, but I'm at a loss as to what this has to do with using Table-Valued
*Parameters* with LINQ? You're assigning the results of some function that
appears to return the results of a LINQ query as a parameter to an ADO.NET
SqlCommand. As Erland pointed out, TVPs work with ADO.NET.

--

> "Michael Coles" <admin(a)geocodenet.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry, you'll have to explain to me what "plain LINQ" is exactly? Is
>> that the LINQ standard query (sequencing) operators as expressed by the
>> standard? If so, SQL Server table-valued parameters don't apply to that
>> level of detail, which is why they're not part of the .NET Standard Query
>> Operators
>> (http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/8/6/5868081c-68aa-40de-9a45-a3803d8134b8/standard_query_operators.doc)
>> or the C# 3.0 specification
>> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms364047(VS.80).aspx).
>>
>> Of course I could be wrong. If we're talking about another LINQ provider
>> that currently implements SQL Server TVPs, perhaps you can point us in
>> the direction of that LINQ provider? The only application I'm currently
>> aware of that uses SQL Server TVPs is SQL Server 2008, but I gave up on
>> trying to keep track of LINQ providers after LINQ to Twitter.
>
> I'm just talking about linq to objects. If we're using linq to objects to
> format data for a parameter object to call an ADO command object. eg
>
> SqlCommand command = CodeToCreateMyCommand();
> command.parameters["MyTableVariable"].Value = ResultsFromMyLinqQuery();
> command.Execute();
>
> Basically what I am saying is that linq to objects can be used to work
> with table variables.
>
> Michael

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Prev: Sql Server on VMWare
Next: AdventureWorks database