From: Michael C on
"Michael Coles" <michaelcoAToptonlineDOTnet> wrote in message
> Unfortunately the ability to return a .NET DataTable in .NET code != SQL
> Server TVP Support

Depends how you look at it. I only use linq to objects and call the database
via ado.net so to me it means it does work.

> At this point I have no definition for a "native linq database". It
> sounds like a marketing slogan more than a real enterprise DBMS.

That suprised me. I thought it was such an obvious idea that it was just a
matter of time before it would be released. Why write a new sql style
language if we don't have a database that uses it directly?

> So far we've seen a wish list of DBMS and database language features, but
> not a foundation for an enterprise DBMS. BTW, the MS push appears to be
> to get people using EF instead of LINQ right now.

Microsoft tend to market all their new features (of course) but many confuse
this with microsoft recommending this as the best way to do things.

Michael

From: Michael Coles on
> Depends how you look at it. I only use linq to objects and call the
> database via ado.net so to me it means it does work.

I can see that possibly working; however, it does not equal SQL Server TVP
support in LINQ. It's simply a workaround for the lack of support, and if
you're dealing in disconnected datasets a potentially costly one. The fact
that you don't even use SQL 2008 means you have no idea whether or not even
this workaround will work.

> That suprised me. I thought it was such an obvious idea that it was just a
> matter of time before it would be released. Why write a new sql style
> language if we don't have a database that uses it directly?

Maybe because no one has defined it. The obvious ideas are often the
trickiest to define, much less implement, because people tend to take a lot
of things for granted. If it really is that obvious, take a shot at giving
it a clear definition.

> Microsoft tend to market all their new features (of course) but many
> confuse this with microsoft recommending this as the best way to do
> things.

Actually LINQ and EF are both living in the OR/M space right now. Some
might consider them competing products that offer similar functionality. If
so the decision has to be made whether resources will be committed to one or
the other, or if resources will be split to develop both. From what I've
read it sounds like the decision was made to dedicate resources towards EF.

--
Thanks

Michael Coles
SQL Server MVP
Author, "Expert SQL Server 2008 Encryption"
(http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430224649)
----------------

From: Michael Coles on
> Again it depends on how you look at it. Certainly linq to objects does not
> restrict you from using TVPs.

And while your television probably doesn't provide any food digestion
functionality, it certainly does not restrict you from digesting your food.
Talking backwards you might be able to convince yourself, but it still makes
no sense. LINQ to Objects does not support TVPs because they are a SQL
Server construct. This was why I asked you previously if you actually knew
what a TVP is. You're talking yourself into believing that an ADO.NET
DataSet is the same thing as a TVP. The ADO.NET DataSet can be used to
populate a TVP, but it is *not* a TVP; in much the same way an XML file can
be used to populate a relational database, but an XML file is *not* a
relational database.

From: Michael C on
"Michael Coles" <michaelcoAToptonlineDOTnet> wrote in message
> And while your television probably doesn't provide any food digestion
> functionality, it certainly does not restrict you from digesting your
> food. Talking backwards you might be able to convince yourself, but it
> still makes no sense. LINQ to Objects does not support TVPs because they
> are a SQL Server construct. This was why I asked you previously if you
> actually knew what a TVP is. You're talking yourself into believing that
> an ADO.NET DataSet is the same thing as a TVP. The ADO.NET DataSet can be
> used to populate a TVP, but it is *not* a TVP; in much the same way an XML
> file can be used to populate a relational database, but an XML file is
> *not* a relational database.

Again, it depends on how you look at it. Linq to objects can return the data
needed for a TVP, basically it works with TVPs. Simple really. Your analogy
is flawed as your television in no way has anything to do with digestion
where linq marries up with ado.net and TVPs quite well.

Michael

From: Michael Coles on
> Again, it depends on how you look at it. Linq to objects can return the
> data needed for a TVP, basically it works with TVPs. Simple really. Your
> analogy is flawed as your television in no way has anything to do with
> digestion where linq marries up with ado.net and TVPs quite well.

Since we're really stretching the definition of "support for TVPs", we can
surely stretch the definition of "support for digestion" to include the Food
Network. As you say, it depends on how you look at it, if you choose to
look at it that way. :) The fact that the LINQ providers have no support
for TVPs is not even a question. The fact that you can kludge around the
lack of support by adding a layer of abstraction between SQL Server and LINQ
doesn't change that fact.

We could likewise say that JavaScript has no support for querying SQL Server
directly; however, we can put a Web Service in between JavaScript and SQL
Server to accept requests from JavaScript, connect to SQL Server, execute
the query, and return the results to JavaScript in JSON format. This
doesn't mean JavaScript now suddenly *poof* supports SQL Server querying --
what it means is we have added a layer of abstraction in between JavaScript
and SQL Server that can communicate with both. You've proposed the same
thing with ADO.NET, which doesn't suddenly mean that *wow* LINQ suddenly
supports TVPs.

--
Thanks

Michael Coles
SQL Server MVP
Author, "Expert SQL Server 2008 Encryption"
(http://www.apress.com/book/view/1430224649)

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Prev: Sql Server on VMWare