From: TJ on
RodMcKay wrote:

> For myself, it's all not a problem, I'll learn. I'm focusing on a
> simple, immediate solution for my family. As with anything in life,
> you usually get one shot at something, first impressions, and all that
> type of thing. I'm going with LiveCDs because, firstly, there isn't
> anything much to do with regards to them (no installing, no nothing,
> really). This means that my techniclally-challenged friends/family
> can handle going this route. I think they'll actually feel pretty
> good about themselves using the LiveCDs. Secondly, it'll create
> enough of an impact and interest that, coupled with an immediate
> resolution to their individual computer woes, will give Linux a very
> good chance with them. After all, going against something so embedded
> in the mainstream as Window$ is will be daunting for them.

Well, what you do is certainly up to you, but I still see potential
problems. Consider web browsing, for example. Your charges are no doubt
using either (shudder) IE, or (hopefully) Firefox. If they do much
browsing, they've probably each amassed a list of bookmarks, or as IE
calls them, "Favorites." They'll want to keep those bookmarks with any
new system, I'm sure.

The most popular browser for Linux is Firefox, and it's probably the
easiest Linux browser for Windows users to use. With a "regular"
installation of Linux, transferring a list of bookmarks using the
import/export functions of the browsers is an easy task. With a live CD,
I'm not even sure it's possible except as something that has to be
reloaded from *somewhere* every time the browser is run. Same thing for
changes in the preferences, like setting a home page, or what you want
to do with cookies. They are necessarily held only in volatile memory,
so when you shut down, they're gone. And as for the plugins that'll play
Flash videos, or get a weather radar loop, well, good luck. They may be
part of the CD, but probably not. There's only so much room on a CD, you
know. The browser will be slower, too - because there's no cache on the
hard drive.

But hey, it's been years since I worked with a live CD. I could be
wrong, but I don't know how. Try it for yourself. If you make the things
I brought up above work, be sure to let me know.

TJ