From: "Andy "Krazy" Glew" on
Del Cecchi wrote:
> For a few months a year, Minnesota isn't that much different from
> antartica. :-)

Stop teasing me like that, Del.

I'd love to live in Minnesota. I'm Canadian, from Montreal, and my wife is from Wisconsin. She goes dogsledding in
Minnesota every February.

But AFAIK there are no jobs for somebody like me in Minnesota.

If you are a computer architect, it's Intel in Oregon, Silicon Valley, Austin. Where else?
From: Del Cecchi on
Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:
> Del Cecchi wrote:
>> For a few months a year, Minnesota isn't that much different from
>> antartica. :-)
>
> Stop teasing me like that, Del.
>
> I'd love to live in Minnesota. I'm Canadian, from Montreal, and my wife
> is from Wisconsin. She goes dogsledding in Minnesota every February.
>
> But AFAIK there are no jobs for somebody like me in Minnesota.
>
> If you are a computer architect, it's Intel in Oregon, Silicon Valley,
> Austin. Where else?

Perhaps IBM in Rochester MN or maybe even Mayo Clinic, Rochester. The
clinic does a lot of special stuff for medical equipment and Dr Barry
Gilbert had a group that did high speed stuff for Darpa.

See http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/staff/gilbert_bk.cfm

IBM Rochester does the (somewhat reviled) Blue Gene and is part of the
team doing the Power Processors.
From: Del Cecchi on
Del Cecchi wrote:
> Andy "Krazy" Glew wrote:
>> Del Cecchi wrote:
>>> For a few months a year, Minnesota isn't that much different from
>>> antartica. :-)
>>
>> Stop teasing me like that, Del.
>>
>> I'd love to live in Minnesota. I'm Canadian, from Montreal, and my
>> wife is from Wisconsin. She goes dogsledding in Minnesota every
>> February.
>>
>> But AFAIK there are no jobs for somebody like me in Minnesota.
>>
>> If you are a computer architect, it's Intel in Oregon, Silicon Valley,
>> Austin. Where else?
>
> Perhaps IBM in Rochester MN or maybe even Mayo Clinic, Rochester. The
> clinic does a lot of special stuff for medical equipment and Dr Barry
> Gilbert had a group that did high speed stuff for Darpa.
>
> See http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/staff/gilbert_bk.cfm
>
> IBM Rochester does the (somewhat reviled) Blue Gene and is part of the
> team doing the Power Processors.

Oh and I fixed my email address. I just noticed that it was still
munged. Sorry about that.

Might also be some action in the Military contractors or Medical places
in Minneapolis/St Paul. Medtronic, Honeywell, Alliant Techsystems,
Boston scientific, BAE, etc.

Some may require US citizenship due to ITAR or security clearance.

Also there are some other companies in the networking and storage fields.

From: Robert Myers on
On Mar 7, 7:32 pm, Del Cecchi <delcecchinospamoftheno...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

> IBM Rochester does the (somewhat reviled) Blue Gene and is part of the
> team doing the Power Processors.

So far as I know, only Nick has taken as shot at Blue Gene here, other
than me.

Blue Gene was a triumph of engineering of the kind that actually made
Seymour Cray famous (heat, and how to get rid of it), it met the needs
of our most moronically expensive national laboratory (LLNL), and, I
hope and pray, it will live on in infamy as an example of what happens
when a bad idea (linpack flops) takes hold of an entire technical
community.

I've explained my objections succinctly. Of 64000 or more processors,
it can use only 512 effectively in doing an FFT. That the bisection
bandwidth is naturally meaured in *milli*bytes per flop is something
that I have yet to see in an IBM publication.

If that's computer architecture, then it can be taught to high school
seniors.

Robert Myers.

From: Del Cecchi on
Robert Myers wrote:
> On Mar 7, 7:32 pm, Del Cecchi <delcecchinospamoftheno...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> IBM Rochester does the (somewhat reviled) Blue Gene and is part of the
>> team doing the Power Processors.
>
> So far as I know, only Nick has taken as shot at Blue Gene here, other
> than me.
>
> Blue Gene was a triumph of engineering of the kind that actually made
> Seymour Cray famous (heat, and how to get rid of it), it met the needs
> of our most moronically expensive national laboratory (LLNL), and, I
> hope and pray, it will live on in infamy as an example of what happens
> when a bad idea (linpack flops) takes hold of an entire technical
> community.
>
> I've explained my objections succinctly. Of 64000 or more processors,
> it can use only 512 effectively in doing an FFT. That the bisection
> bandwidth is naturally meaured in *milli*bytes per flop is something
> that I have yet to see in an IBM publication.
>
> If that's computer architecture, then it can be taught to high school
> seniors.
>
> Robert Myers.

trolling trolling trolling. keep those posts a rolling. Oh got one.
:-)

yeah I put that (somewhat reviled) in there for you, robert.

couldn't help myself.