From: Shmuel Metz on
In <4bc97500$0$78577$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net>, on 04/17/2010
at 06:43 PM, "robin" <robin51(a)dodo.com.au> said:

>Had you actually read what I wrote in my first post in this thread,

I did; it was both irrelevant and unsubstantiated.

>you would have comprehended that I said "first IMPLEMENTED in machine
>code"

See above.

>And I twice substantiated my claim.

No; you neither identified the algorithms to which you were referring nor
demonstrated that they had not previously been implemented on, e.g., dead
trees, mechanical calculators.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: Shmuel Metz on
In <4bcfaa84$0$895$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net>, on 04/22/2010
at 11:39 AM, "robin" <robin51(a)dodo.com.au> said:

>You're wrong on both counts.

1. You have not addressed the question of whether Algol was used
to develop algorithms. Even had you *shown* that other languages
had been used earlier or more often, that would have not addrssed
the issue in dispute.

2. You cited a book describing multiple algorithms; you refused to
identify specific algorithms about which you were making claims.

3. You profused to show that the unspecified algorithms about which
you made claims had not already been in use.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: robin on
"Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" <spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote in message
| In <4bc5a413$0$78577$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net>, on 04/14/2010
| at 07:27 PM, "robin" <robin51(a)dodo.com.au> said:
|
| >That's irrelevant.
|
| The dispute is about the development of algorithms,

No it isn't.
But if you want original development, try
1. Compilers, typically first written in 1950s in machine code.
2. Nuclear codes.
3. Computer-generated music
4. Random number generation.

| not about their
| transcription. The question of whether Ada actually developed the
| Fibonacci algorithm is highly relevant to that question.

That's complerely irrelevant.

From: J. Clarke on
On 4/23/2010 3:29 AM, robin wrote:
> "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"<spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote in message
> | In<4bc5a413$0$78577$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net>, on 04/14/2010
> | at 07:27 PM, "robin"<robin51(a)dodo.com.au> said:
> |
> |>That's irrelevant.
> |
> | The dispute is about the development of algorithms,
>
> No it isn't.
> But if you want original development, try
> 1. Compilers, typically first written in 1950s in machine code.

I think that's a very solid case--there was no need for such a thing
before there was machine code so there was no incentive for anybody to
even look for the necessary algorithms, although some of the pieces may
have had prior development, and you can't use a high level language
until you have a working compiler for it (although I understand that in
some cases the "compiler" was a grad student).

> 2. Nuclear codes.

Were the algorithms they used developed to be used on computers or were
they computer implementations of the hand and card-machine algorithms
that were used during the development of the bomb? Los Alamos didn't
have a mechanical computer you know--"computer" at Los Alamos was a job
title--but they did have a room full of punch-card machines and a group
of teenagers doing amazing things with them.

> 3. Computer-generated music

Don't know anything about that.

> 4. Random number generation.

How were random numbers generated before computers? Did they not have
viable algorithms for the purpose?

From: Gary L. Scott on
On 4/22/2010 4:59 AM, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
> In<4bcfaa84$0$895$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net>, on 04/22/2010
> at 11:39 AM, "robin"<robin51(a)dodo.com.au> said:
>
>> You're wrong on both counts.
>
> 1. You have not addressed the question of whether Algol was used
> to develop algorithms. Even had you *shown* that other languages
> had been used earlier or more often, that would have not addrssed
> the issue in dispute.
>
> 2. You cited a book describing multiple algorithms; you refused to
> identify specific algorithms about which you were making claims.
>
> 3. You profused to show that the unspecified algorithms about which
> you made claims had not already been in use.

Children, children!