From: robin on
"Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" <spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote in message
| In <4bcfaa84$0$895$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net>, on 04/22/2010
| at 11:39 AM, "robin" <robin51(a)dodo.com.au> said:
|
| >You're wrong on both counts.
|
| 1. You have not addressed the question of whether Algol was used
| to develop algorithms. Even had you *shown* that other languages
| had been used earlier or more often, that would have not addrssed
| the issue in dispute.

That is irrelevant. It is not what I claimed.

| 2. You cited a book describing multiple algorithms; you refused to
| identify specific algorithms about which you were making claims.

What don't you understand about the word "Programme"?
It is a computer program.

"General Interpretive Programme" is the name of the program,
and also, incidentally, the name of a book.

From: Peter Flass on
J. Clarke wrote:

>> 4. Random number generation.
>
> How were random numbers generated before computers? Did they not have
> viable algorithms for the purpose?

I think the "Chem Rubber Bible" has a table of random numbers you can
use; just pick a spot to start. OTOH, that begs the question of how
they were generated in the first place. I have visions of a roomful of
people flipping coins.
From: Sjouke Burry on
Peter Flass wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
>>> 4. Random number generation.
>> How were random numbers generated before computers? Did they not have
>> viable algorithms for the purpose?
>
> I think the "Chem Rubber Bible" has a table of random numbers you can
> use; just pick a spot to start. OTOH, that begs the question of how
> they were generated in the first place. I have visions of a roomful of
> people flipping coins.

Just take any bad quality resistor, zenerdiode, or a number
of other electronic components, amplify the noise, and use it
with a bit of hardware to produce an endless stream of random numbers.
No computers needed.
From: robin on
| In <4bc97500$0$78577$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net>, on 04/17/2010
| at 06:43 PM, "robin" <robin51(a)dodo.com.au> said:
|
| >Had you actually read what I wrote in my first post in this thread,
|
| I did; it was both irrelevant and unsubstantiated.

You're wrong on both counts.

| >you would have comprehended that I said "first IMPLEMENTED in machine
| >code"
|
| See above.
|
| >And I twice substantiated my claim.
|
| No; you neither identified the algorithms to which you were referring

What don't you understand about "General Interpretive Programme".
That's the algorithm. It's the one I indentified. Four times now.

nor
| demonstrated that they had not previously been implemented on, e.g., dead
| trees, mechanical calculators.

That's irrelevant.
But if you want an example of that, try computer-produced music.

From: Gary L. Scott on
On 4/23/2010 6:25 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
> Peter Flass wrote:
>>> How were random numbers generated before computers? Did they not have
>>> viable algorithms for the purpose?
>>
>> I think the "Chem Rubber Bible" has a table of random numbers you can
>> use; just pick a spot to start. OTOH, that begs the question of how
>> they were generated in the first place. I have visions of a roomful of
>> people flipping coins.
>
> Just take any bad quality resistor, zenerdiode, or a number
> of other electronic components, amplify the noise, and use it
> with a bit of hardware to produce an endless stream of random numbers.
> No computers needed.
Excellent time to trim nonessential newsgroups