From: robin on
"Automatic Digital Computation" was published by NPL
in 1954 and reprinted in 1955. It is the proceedings of
a symposium held at NPL in March 1953.

It contains reports of numeric programs being run
on various computers --
solving simultaneous equations, latent roots,
matrix multiplication, solution of Differetial equations,
partial differential equations, statistics,
computation of tables, etc.

Of course, the programs were in machine code.

That symposium was the third such held.

The previous ones were held in June 1949 and July 1951.

From: Shmuel Metz on
In <4c0a2e36$0$34205$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net>, on 06/05/2010
at 08:58 PM, Dave Frank <robin51(a)dodo.com.au> said:

>Of course, the programs were in machine code.

Your saying "of course" does not make it true, or even plausible. You
keep refusing to actually provide evidence, or even independent
claims. The last time you cited something that you claimed to have
been written in machine language it turned out to have been written in
assembler.

reply to spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org

From: Arthur Evans Jr on
In article <4c0b234f$1$fuzhry+tra$mr2ice(a)news.patriot.net>,
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz <spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote:

> The last time you cited something that you claimed to have
> been written in machine language it turned out to have been written in
> assembler.

As one who was writing programs in 1957, I can assure you that the two
terms were then used interchangeably.

Art Evans
Old Codger
From: robin on

"Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" <spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote in message
| In <4c0a2e36$0$34205$c30e37c6(a)exi-reader.telstra.net>, on 06/05/2010
| at 08:58 PM, Dave Frank <robin51(a)dodo.com.au> said:
|
| >Of course, the programs were in machine code.
|
| Your saying "of course" does not make it true, or even plausible. You
| keep refusing to actually provide evidence,

What don't you understand about the publication,
"Automatic Digital Computation"?

I've given you the publisher and the date, etc.
With that information, most people can find the publication and read it.

From: J. Clarke on
On 6/6/2010 10:53 AM, Arthur Evans Jr wrote:
> In article<4c0b234f$1$fuzhry+tra$mr2ice(a)news.patriot.net>,
> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz<spamtrap(a)library.lspace.org.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The last time you cited something that you claimed to have
>> been written in machine language it turned out to have been written in
>> assembler.
>
> As one who was writing programs in 1957, I can assure you that the two
> terms were then used interchangeably.

I never understood this business of making a distinction between machine
language and assembler--maybe they changed things after I stopped
working with assembler but in my day it was a 1:1 correspondence--you
knew exactly what binary each assembly language instruction would emit,
and the only practical difference was that someone who didn't have an
idiot-savant ability to remember numerical codes could learn to work in
assembler in a reasonable time.

Perhaps he's looking for programs in microcode or something.