From: Ulick Magee on
Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> On both 11.2 and 11.3 a complete update system has a 3.6.6 Firefox.
> Yesterday I had to work on a Windows system and this has 3.6.8. Why is
> openSuse lagging behind?

Happens all the time with Firefox and Opera. IIRC the 10.60 Opera was
available for a week before openSUSE put it on their update repos. I
would only worry if there was a MAJOR security issue that was
exploitable in the real world, and there wasn't a workaround to mitigate
it. In that case I'd use another package until the update was available.

But it's very rare for a browser issue on linux to be that serious, and
to have no workaround (e.g. disabling javascript except on known trusted
sites - which I always do, anyway.)

openSUSE test the new versions before pushing them out. If they just
took every update and patch from upstream and pushed them out ASAP with
no testing, sooner or later something would break. If you want to run
that risk, then by all means use the Mozilla (etc.) repos, or Factory,
to get the latest stuff. Also it's openSUSE policy not to do version
upgrades except in rare cases. E.g. Firefox on 11.1 is at 3.5.10, it
will not be moving to 3.6.x, but openSUSE will backport security fixes
to 3.5 if required.

Sometimes the old version of a package is too old or bug ridden or too
difficult to backport the fixes to, so they will force a version
upgrade, but this is rare enough.

Kernels are the same, the 11.1 kernel is 2.6.27.x and will stay on that
version for its whole lifetime, but important fixes will be backported.
If you really really want the latest, you can get it and install it
yourself, but most users will not want to or need to, and those that do
will be aware that it can cause problems.

The whole point of a linux distribution is that code is tested before
release, not just that it works but that it doesn't break other things,
and is all compiled on the same gcc version. The approach of updating
everything individually and hoping it just works is the Windows approach
and leads to DLL hell. It's almost as bad in OSX, all non-Apple software
has to be updated manually by the user.

--

Ulick Magee

Free software and free formats for free information for free people.
Open Office for Windows/OSX/Linux: http://www.openoffice.org
openSUSE Linux: http://en.opensuse.org
From: mjt on
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:26:55 +0200
Cecil Westerhof <Cecil(a)decebal.nl> wrote:

> On both 11.2 and 11.3 a complete update system has a 3.6.6 Firefox.
> Yesterday I had to work on a Windows system and this has 3.6.8. Why is
> openSuse lagging behind?

I have FF 3.6.8 and 4.0beta2 installed here - openSUSE 11.3 x86_64,
so for me, openSUSE isn't "lagging behind".

Not sure what your issue might be.

--
Please try to limit the amount of "this room doesn't have any bazingas"
until you are told that those rooms are "punched out". Once punched

From: Cecil Westerhof on
Op maandag 26 jul 2010 19:46 CEST schreef Hendrik van Hees:

> I always use yast, not zypper.

I use both.

> There you can click repositories. Then chose
> the obs mozilla repository and click "switch system packages to the versions
> in this repository".

I am afraid I am missing something. I do not see how to do that. How
is this done?

The strange thing is that on 11.2 and 11.3 there has been several
updates. They did not come with 3.6.6. I am sure about that, because
it is from 26 June.

I did put the priority from Mozilla and Packman to 20, but that did
not have an effect.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer
From: Cecil Westerhof on
Op maandag 26 jul 2010 19:46 CEST schreef Hendrik van Hees:

> I always use yast, not zypper. There you can click repositories. Then chose
> the obs mozilla repository and click "switch system packages to the versions
> in this repository".

It keeps getting stranger. On another 11.2 system 3.6.7 was already
installed. When updating with yast 3.6.8 was not installed, when
updating with zypper it was installed.

When searching in Software Management with Firefox in my not updated
system I get:
│Name │Summary │Avail. Vers.│Inst. Vers.│S│
i │MozillaFirefox │Mozilla Firefox Web Browser │3.6.6 │3.6.6 │ │
│MozillaFirefox-branding-Moblin │Moblin branding of MozillaFirefox │3.5 │ │ │
i │MozillaFirefox-branding-openSUSE │openSUSE branding of MozillaFirefox │3.5 │3.5 │ │
│MozillaFirefox-branding-upstream │Upstream branding for MozillaFirefox │3.6.8 │ │ │
│MozillaFirefox-debuginfo │Debug information for package MozillaFirefox │3.6.8 │ │ │
│MozillaFirefox-debugsource │Debug sources for package MozillaFirefox │3.6.8 │ │ │
i │MozillaFirefox-theme-oxygen │Oxygen for Mozilla Firefox │1.4.92 │1.4.92 │ │
i │MozillaFirefox-translations-common│Common translations for MozillaFirefox │3.6.6 │3.6.6 │ │
│MozillaFirefox-translations-other │Extra translations for MozillaFirefox │3.6.8 │ │ │
│beagle-firefox │Firefox Plugin for the Desktop search application beagle│0.3.9 │ │ │
│mhtml-firefox │Provides Firefox with MHTML web archive compatibility │0.5 │

On the system with Firefox 3.6.8 MozillaFirefox and
MozillaFirefox-translations-common are 3.6.8 and on this system 3.6.6.
The strange thing is that MozillaFirefox-translations-other is 3.6.8.

If anybody understands what is happening here ...

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer
From: David Bolt on
On Tuesday 27 Jul 2010 09:04, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> David Bolt wrote:
>> I've had that too, and it can be damn annoying. Almost as annoying as
>> trying to get it to open when it's been using a live CD and I'm trying
>> to get the disc out before it shuts down.
>
> I just let it reboot, go through the 'boot from HD' process and then go
> on. I have noticed lately (but that can be imaginary, as I don't pay
> much attention during the install) that it does a soft-reboot, so does
> not go past the BIOS, but directly into the booting process.

You're not imagining it. It uses kexec to swap kernels and reboot
faster. A quick Google shows this:

<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=785347>

which I think I'll try out to see if I can use it for faster reboots :)

>> Always have to turn it on again before it lets me have it back. I'm
>> sure it's just after being turned on again and again :)
>
> Maurice Moss, is that you?

Oh dear...

Regards,
David Bolt