From: Iram on
I have a split Access 2003 Database. I have some people accessing the front
end db from 80 miles away via a 1GB WAN Link and other people about 100 feet
away from the server that is housing the db. For some reason and only some
times, when they click on the drop down of a certain combobox it crashes the
DB, asks if they want to send a report to Microsoft or End the Program. Then
they have to re-open the db and try it all over again until it works.

Would you have any idea why this is happening? If so could you help me fix
this issue?

Possible Clues

Most of the Combobox's that are giving me trouble are...

--- In Subforms
--- The field name is called "DailyStatsCategory"
--- On Got Focus...
Private Sub DailyStatsCategory_GotFocus()
With Me
If fOSUserName() = .WorkerID Then
.DailyStatsCategory.Locked = False
Else
.DailyStatsCategory.Locked = True
End If
End With
End Sub

--- After Update...
Private Sub DailyStatsCategory_AfterUpdate()
Me.DailyStatsCategory.Locked = True
Me.Sub_Cat.Requery
Me.Sub_Cat.SetFocus
Me.Sub_Cat.Dropdown
End Sub

--- Row Source...
SELECT tbl_Category.Category, tbl_Category.Classification,
tbl_Category.Category, tbl_Category.Desc, tbl_Category.ReportType AS
[Category-Type], tbl_Category.[Remove Category]
FROM tbl_Category
WHERE (((tbl_Category.[Remove Category])=0))
ORDER BY tbl_Category.Classification, tbl_Category.Category;

Thanks.
Iram
From: Jeff Boyce on
Access isn't known to work particularly well over a wide-area network.

My particular explanation is that it takes the little men too long to haul
the buckets of electrons back and forth, and Access forgets what it was
doing...

Regardless of the reason, don't plan on getting consistent
performance/behavior if you are using a WAN. (search online for Albert
Kallal's explanation...)

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

From: Marshall Barton on
Iram wrote:

>I have a split Access 2003 Database. I have some people accessing the front
>end db from 80 miles away via a 1GB WAN Link and other people about 100 feet
>away from the server that is housing the db. For some reason and only some
>times, when they click on the drop down of a certain combobox it crashes the
>DB, asks if they want to send a report to Microsoft or End the Program. Then
>they have to re-open the db and try it all over again until it works.
>
>Would you have any idea why this is happening? If so could you help me fix
>this issue?
>
>Possible Clues
>
>Most of the Combobox's that are giving me trouble are...
>
>--- In Subforms
>--- The field name is called "DailyStatsCategory"
>--- On Got Focus...
>Private Sub DailyStatsCategory_GotFocus()
>With Me
> If fOSUserName() = .WorkerID Then
> .DailyStatsCategory.Locked = False
> Else
> .DailyStatsCategory.Locked = True
> End If
>End With
>End Sub
>
>--- After Update...
>Private Sub DailyStatsCategory_AfterUpdate()
>Me.DailyStatsCategory.Locked = True
>Me.Sub_Cat.Requery
>Me.Sub_Cat.SetFocus
>Me.Sub_Cat.Dropdown
>End Sub
>
>--- Row Source...
>SELECT tbl_Category.Category, tbl_Category.Classification,
>tbl_Category.Category, tbl_Category.Desc, tbl_Category.ReportType AS
>[Category-Type], tbl_Category.[Remove Category]
>FROM tbl_Category
>WHERE (((tbl_Category.[Remove Category])=0))
>ORDER BY tbl_Category.Classification, tbl_Category.Category;

Sorry, I do not have an answer beyond suggesting you
carefully check each instalation for the correct version of
everthing including service packs, hot fixes and especially
all the refereneced libraries. Crashes are very rare and
usually caused by a bad driver, but a mixed up Access
installation, might conceivably cause one.

You must be plush to have a giga byte/bit WAN, That's way
faster than most LANs that Access uses all the time.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]