From: Neil Cerutti on
On 2010-07-28, Jonathan Hartley <tartley(a)tartley.com> wrote:
> And Neil Cerutti, I think I'll just email the whole source tree
> to myself, and have a script that scans my inbox, unzips source
> trees and runs their tests. Much nicer. :-)

Don't forget to clear the screen, though. That ties the whole
program together.

--
Neil Cerutti
From: Tim Harig on
On 2010-07-28, Thomas Jollans <thomas(a)jollans.com> wrote:
> It might be possible to write a curses-compatible library that works
> with cmd.exe. Maybe. But, even if it's possible, I don't think it's
> easy, and I especially don't think it would be particularly rewarding.

http://pdcurses.sourceforge.net/

It would be rewarding as it would make writing cross-platform charactor
mode applications possible. Using curses for the interface makes a lot of
sense because it is already supported by almost every Unix/POSIX platorm,
so re-implementation is only required for those odd platforms (Windows)
where it does not exist natively,; because well documented on the internet
and in print; and because a huge number of people are already familiar with
its API.

If licensing permits, I don't think it would be too difficult difficult to
embed something like pdcurses into the existing curses module to use as a
backup for platforms where curses does not already exist. If not, there
cannot be much difference to writing a terminal emulator that runs inside
the windows console and there are a *huge* number of terminal emulators
available for ansi/vt100 terminals. Add a termcap database mechanism and
an embedded emulator can easily convert the excape codes into actions for
the console.
From: Ulrich Eckhardt on
Neil Cerutti wrote:
> Perhaps emailing the tests to yourself would be a good solution.
> Every tme the tests ran, you'd get a new email containing the
> results.

Nice idea, only that it's even less portable and requires manual setup...

;^)

Uli

--
Sator Laser GmbH

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <mailman.1203.1280235285.1673.python-list(a)python.org>, Daniel
Fetchinson wrote:

> Sure, there are many different terminals and many different operating
> systems but in many areas python managed to hide all these complexities
> behind a well defined API.

Once upon a time, there were indeed many different kinds of actual physical
terminals.

However, they are all extinct now. All that's left is software emulations.
And the one emulation they all have in common is the DEC VT100.

So just assume you're displaying on one of those:

sys.stdout.write("\x1b[2J")

From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <i2q3sk$3pf$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>, Tim Harig wrote:

> It would be rewarding as it would make writing cross-platform charactor
> mode applications possible.

I thought Windows users were allergic to command lines.