From: Mark Lawrence on
On 02/08/2010 19:14, Benjamin Kaplan wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:51 AM, David Robinow<drobinow(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Benjamin Kaplan
>> <benjamin.kaplan(a)case.edu> wrote:
>>> So these are the packages needed just to run Python in Ubuntu. It doesn't
>>> include the packages required for the kernel, the desktop environment,
>> the
>>> window manager, the terminal, and whatever else you want running. In my
>>> fairly clean Ubuntu VM (I use it almost exclusively for testing), I have
>>> close to 1500 packages installed.
>> As an admittedly stupid comparison, I have 1579 DLLs in my
>> \windows\system32 directory.
>> Some number of these have been upgraded by Windows Update. This is XP
>> Service Pack 3.
>> I'm not sure if this means that Windows is better because it has more
>> packages or that it is worse because it's got too many. :)
>> --
>>

> A package is usually more than one file.
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/amd64/linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic/filelist

This is all very well, but what is the unladen airspeed velocity of a
swallow in flight? Answers on a postcard please, given that I expect
both direction and speed!

Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.

From: MRAB on
Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 02/08/2010 19:14, Benjamin Kaplan wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:51 AM, David Robinow<drobinow(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> the
>>> As an admittedly stupid comparison, I have 1579 DLLs in my
>>> \windows\system32 directory.
>>> Some number of these have been upgraded by Windows Update. This is XP
>>> Service Pack 3.
>>> I'm not sure if this means that Windows is better because it has more
>>> packages or that it is worse because it's got too many. :)
>>> --
>>>

>> A package is usually more than one file.
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/amd64/linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic/filelist

> This is all very well, but what is the unladen airspeed velocity of a
> swallow in flight? Answers on a postcard please, given that I expect
> both direction and speed!

African or European? :-)
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <mailman.1445.1280767895.1673.python-list(a)python.org>, David
Robinow wrote:

> As an admittedly stupid comparison, I have 1579 DLLs in my
> \windows\system32 directory.
> Some number of these have been upgraded by Windows Update.

What about the ones that aren't? How do you maintain those?
From: David Robinow on
On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo(a)geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message <mailman.1445.1280767895.1673.python-list(a)python.org>, David
> Robinow wrote:
>
>>  As an admittedly stupid comparison, I have 1579 DLLs in my
>> \windows\system32 directory.
>> Some number of these have been upgraded by Windows Update.
>
> What about the ones that aren’t? How do you maintain those?
Lawrence, you've been asking a lot of off-topic questions about
Microsoft Windows. I think it's wonderful that you're so open to new
ideas, but suggest that you take it to a Windows group, where I'm sure
you'll get a friendly response.
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <mailman.1601.1280974847.1673.python-list(a)python.org>, David
Robinow wrote:

> Lawrence, you've been asking a lot of off-topic questions about
> Microsoft Windows.

You've got to be kidding. Look at the number of Windows-specific questions
this groups is already full of.