From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <mailman.1382.1280646210.1673.python-list(a)python.org>, Mark
Lawrence wrote:

> On 01/08/2010 07:50, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In message<mailman.1381.1280643817.1673.python-list(a)python.org>, Mark
>> Lawrence wrote:
>>
>>> Personally I find double clicking on an msi file rather easier.
>>
>> Easier than apt-get dist-upgrade?
>
> I'm sorry but I only do English, could you please translate. :)

I run Debian Unstable, which has new goodies coming out on a weekly basis.
The last time I checked for updates, there were over 500 packages I had
installed for which updates were available. It only took a command like the
above to upgrade them all.

How many .msi files would you have to click on to achieve the Windows
equivalent?
From: Mark Lawrence on
> In message<mailman.1382.1280646210.1673.python-list(a)python.org>, Mark
> Lawrence wrote:
>
>> On 01/08/2010 07:50, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>> Easier than apt-get dist-upgrade?
>>
>> I'm sorry but I only do English, could you please translate. :)
>
> I run Debian Unstable, which has new goodies coming out on a weekly basis.
> The last time I checked for updates, there were over 500 packages I had
> installed for which updates were available. It only took a command like the
> above to upgrade them all.
>
> How many .msi files would you have to click on to achieve the Windows
> equivalent?

No idea, but your mental capacity is clearly infinitely higher than
mine, as I simply couldn't cope with over 500 installed packages. What
do they all do, make your lunch and fetch the beer from the fridge
amongst other things?

Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

From: Gregory Ewing on
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> How many .msi files would you have to click on to achieve the Windows
> equivalent?

Don't you just leave the machine on overnight and wait
for Microsoft to download all the stuff they think
you should be using?

--
Greg
From: Lawrence D'Oliveiro on
In message <8bkosiFpihU2(a)mid.individual.net>, Gregory Ewing wrote:

> Don't you just leave the machine on overnight and wait
> for Microsoft to download all the stuff they think
> you should be using?

That's fine, but it doesn't handle the non-Microsoft stuff.
From: Tim Harig on
On 2010-08-01, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy(a)yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 01/08/2010 06:17, Tim Harig wrote:

>>> I thought Windows users were allergic to command lines.
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge, there have never been any documentated
>> cases of computer software related alleries. There are however several
>> chemicals used in the process of constructing computer hardware componets
>> which have been linked to allergy illnesses. Maybe Windows users are
>> simply allergic to their computers.
>
> Windows users biggest allergy is to this strange world that involves
> "make" on other boxes, whatever that is, it strikes me as rather
> archaic. Personally I find double clicking on an msi file rather easier.

I work with several thousand computers located on three different
continents. Few of them have mice attached to them. If you think double
clicking is a better method, be my guest; but, you need to get a package
installed and configured on all of them before lunch.

Its also kind of funny that I couldn't get the msi to work with a large
percentage of the systems that I work with. Make works on all but one out
of the box, and potentially on the last with the addition of SFU or
Cygwin.

With all that said, I am still not sure what the make/msi question has
anything to do with packing a backup, cross platform, implementation of
curses that allows the curses module to give Python a cross platform method
of character mode manipulation.