From: brabuhr on
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Colin Bartlett <colinb2r(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>> For some reason I'm reminded of the SAC chief who allegedly said that if
>> after a nuclear war there were two americans and one russian left "we win"
>
> That sounds like a line from a movie, maybe Dr. Strangelove?

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2008/12/26/william_kaufmann_90_mit_political_scientist_reshaped_kennedys_defense_strategy/?page=2

General Thomas S. Power, commander of the Strategic Air Command,
interrupted Dr. Kaufmann two minutes into his four-hour briefing: "Why
do you want us to restrain ourselves?" Power bellowed, according to
people who recalled the episode to Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist
Fred Kaplan. "Restraint! Why are you so concerned with saving their
lives? The whole idea is to kill the bastards!"

After several more minutes of the briefing, Power finally said, "Look.
At the end of the war, if there are two Americans and one Russian, we
win!"

Dr. Kaufmann retorted: "Well, you'd better make sure that they're a
man and a woman."

http://www.independent.org/newsroom/article.asp?id=1693

“Why are you so concerned with saving their lives? The whole idea is
to kill the bastards. . . . Look. At the end of the war, if there are
two Americans and one Russian, we win!”[i] Everyone who knew Power
seems to have thought he was crazy.

Even the man he replaced as SAC commander, General Curtis LeMay,
regarded him as unstable—and everybody knew that LeMay himself was, as
Dr. Strangelove’s Group Captain Lionel Mandrake would have put it, “as
mad as a bloody March hare.” After LeMay left his command at SAC, he
became Vice Chief of Staff of the Air Force in 1957 and Chief of Staff
in 1961. He is most often remembered as a tireless advocate of an
all-out, nuclear first strike on the Soviet Union and its allies, and
as the most likely inspiration for General Buck Turgidson in
Strangelove. Either Power or LeMay might have served as a model for
the Strangelove character General Jack D. Ripper, whose own nuclear
first strike on the Ruskies came straight out of the LeMay-Power
playbook.

[i] Power as quoted in Fred Kaplan, The Wizards of Armageddon
(Stanford, Calif.: Stanford University Press, [1983] 1991), p. 246.

From: Robert Klemme on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipse_%28figure_of_speech%29

> - it occurs to me that to be on the
> safe side maybe we should just shoot everybody including ourselves!

I agree. You go first. :-)

Cheers

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
From: Robert Dober on
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale(a)gmail.com> wrote:
Rick we got a problem in the states we have to shoot ourselves 9 times
while here in france 7 times suffice. A classical I18N bug.

-- Alan Kay

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Fashion Accessories