From: Stephen Fuld on
Peter "Firefly" Lund wrote:

snip

> (Actually, I can recommend *anything* by Simon Peyton Jones, no matter
> the subject. Take a look at his article on Excel, functions, and
> usability.)

I read this paper and found it quite interesting. I have two questions.
Is the functionality described in the paper included in current
releases of Excel? The paper said they might be, but I haven't found it
touted as a new feature.

The second is to think about using the "spreadsheet with functions"
metaphor to help make parallel programming easier. Since many people
find the spreadsheet metaphor easy to deal with, and it can
"automatically" break up the calculations into multiple "threads", this
might help people make better use of multi-core processors, etc.

It does require some rethinking for most programmers. For example,
loops become iterations in space (different cells) not time. But this
might be a smaller change than that required to specifically specify
locking or message passing.

--
- Stephen Fuld
From: Stephen Fuld on
Stephen Fuld wrote:
> Peter "Firefly" Lund wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> (Actually, I can recommend *anything* by Simon Peyton Jones, no matter
>> the subject. Take a look at his article on Excel, functions, and
>> usability.)
>

> I read this paper and found it quite interesting.

Sorry for tacking on to my own post, but I thought I should give a link
to the paper. One of several is

http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/excel/excel.pdf

--
- Stephen Fuld
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

IBM's Chief Architect Says Software is at Dead End
http://it.slashdot.org/it/07/01/30/1547235.shtml

and

Where's The Software To Catch Up To Multicore Computing?
http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197001130

from above:

To make this complex architecture useful to even the most advanced
scientific simulation application developers, much of the work on the
system development is in the programming methodology enablement and
corresponding application framework and tooling.

.... snip ...
From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <m3d54v16y5.fsf(a)garlic.com>,
Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn(a)garlic.com> writes:

|> IBM's Chief Architect Says Software is at Dead End
|> http://it.slashdot.org/it/07/01/30/1547235.shtml
|> Where's The Software To Catch Up To Multicore Computing?
|> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197001130

I am scarcely likely to disagree!

|> from above:
|>
|> To make this complex architecture useful to even the most advanced
|> scientific simulation application developers, much of the work on the
|> system development is in the programming methodology enablement and
|> corresponding application framework and tooling.

Yeah. For 30 years now. Progress in many areas, adequate to excellent.
Progress in enabling the automatic use of parallelism by 'ordinary'
codes written by non-parallel-skilled programmers, essentially nil.

Dammit, you and I know that we could make use of almost arbitrary
parallelism for matrix codes before 1975 - possibly well before. And
the same was true for trivially decomposable problems. In fact, many
people did just those things. But where are we now, as far as
automatic parallelisation goes?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Joe Seigh on
Nick Maclaren wrote:
> In article <m3d54v16y5.fsf(a)garlic.com>,
> Anne & Lynn Wheeler <lynn(a)garlic.com> writes:
> |>
> |> IBM's Chief Architect Says Software is at Dead End
> |> http://it.slashdot.org/it/07/01/30/1547235.shtml
> |> Where's The Software To Catch Up To Multicore Computing?
> |> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197001130
>
> I am scarcely likely to disagree!
>
> |> from above:
> |>
> |> To make this complex architecture useful to even the most advanced
> |> scientific simulation application developers, much of the work on the
> |> system development is in the programming methodology enablement and
> |> corresponding application framework and tooling.
>
> Yeah. For 30 years now. Progress in many areas, adequate to excellent.
> Progress in enabling the automatic use of parallelism by 'ordinary'
> codes written by non-parallel-skilled programmers, essentially nil.
>
> Dammit, you and I know that we could make use of almost arbitrary
> parallelism for matrix codes before 1975 - possibly well before. And
> the same was true for trivially decomposable problems. In fact, many
> people did just those things. But where are we now, as far as
> automatic parallelisation goes?

Apparently not far enough along for hardware manufacturers who now
expect 30 years worth of software to be instantly rewritten to
exploit multi-cored cpus because their business model suddenly
depends on it. They should know that making up a new lemonade
recipe takes time.

--
Joe Seigh

When you get lemons, you make lemonade.