From: ChrisQuayle on
David Ball wrote:

> I usually just lurk since I'm not a chip designer and haven't worked
> with debugging boards and writing firmware since the 8080/8085/Z-80
> days. I just wanted to point out that on the linux kernel mailing
> list, getting X to be responsive without messing up the rest of the
> system seemed to cause an incredible amount of problems in the
> scheduler. I think they ended up with a bunch of code to try to decide
> if a process was interactive and give it priority for short bursts of
> cpu time, then degrade it to non-interactive if it used too much cpu.
> IIRC, they spent months tuning it not to starve important processes
> and actually degrade the display or mess up things like playing mp3
> files. I don't follow the list as much as I used to so I'm not really
> sure if they ever found something they were reasonably satisfied with.
>
> -- David (8080/Z-80/x86 asm/c/c++ programmer who used to do firmware)

Perhaps the long term answer is to embed the X server and window manager
support into the graphics card and just talk to the card using the X
protocol, using dma for speed. Download the selected widget set, look
and feel etc to the card at login time.

It's certainly doable with modern embedded technology and half way house
to full redesign, while retaining compatability with present systems...

Chris

From: ChrisQuayle on
Nick Maclaren wrote:
> In article <jqYih.28100$kM2.27587(a)newsfe7-win.ntli.net>,
> ChrisQuayle <nospam(a)devnul.co.uk> writes:
> |>
> |> That's a very good summary, though it doesn't seem particularly arduous
> |> or inefficient. It may have been in the early days of X, where cpu
> |> throughput and memory was limited and a lot of the graphics processing
> |> was done in software, (See the dec wrl reports on dumb colour frame
> |> buffers and how they optimised the system, for example), but isn't so
> |> serious now. You get flexibility at a systems programming level at the
> |> expense of efficiency.
>
> Unfortunately, that would not be so even if the components were
> implemented efficiently, which they aren't. The problem is in cache
> and TLB draining, and the impact on OTHER processes running on the
> same system. I have seen the use of X degrade the throughput by a
> factor of two, even though there were enough CPUs available at all
> times!
>
> |> Must look up the NeWs system to see how it works - can we have a similar
> |> summary for that as well ?...
>
> I never looked at it in depth; all I noted was that it had some features
> to alleviate this problem. Sorry.
>

> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren.

Did a bit of digging and found:

http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/NeWs_desc_oct_1993.html

Not any info on data flow though the layers and haven't been able to
find the mentioned reference manual on the Sun web site. Looks like Sun
were going their own way developing a windowing system and tried to
integrate X functionality later, when it bacame apparent that X would
become the dominant standard.

I think the main problem with X now is the window manager, which is
really in the wrong place in the stack. It should probably be placed
just above the framebuffer driver for perfomance reasons, though this
would play havoc with the model...

Chris
From: ChrisQuayle on
Eugene Miya wrote:

> Some one has to design the board and pipelines. The real problem is
> modularity. It doesn't help when graphics artists get really confused
> with message passing, shared memory, etc.

Agreed, but one of the reasons why graphics is so ubiquitous now is all
the gory implementation details are hidden from the creative types of
other disciplinee, who just want to make pictures with it. Art for the
masses, or what ?. I well remember "high end" graphics systems of the
late 80's - 19" rack case full of amd bit slice and fast bipolar memory,
hundreds of watts consumption and all you got was a dma interface, a set
of io registers and a function library in assembler. You needed to be a
competent systems engineer / programmer just to draw a line.

I wonder how such systems would compare performance wise with the
typical $100 pc graphics card of 2006 ?. The Metheus unit described
above cost 10k $ or more iirc...

Chris

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen(a)hda.hydro.com> writes:
> Almost 20 years ago, while we were developing the Oseberg North Sea
> oil field, we had a couple of modules under construction in Holland
> (Rotterdam/Den Haag), and the two possible alternatives for comms
> links were leased SDLC or X.25.

recent posts in this thread:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006y.html#0 Why so little parallelism?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006y.html#4 Why so little parallelism?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006y.html#10 Why so little parallelism?

my wife had done brief stint as chief architect for amadeus. there was
decision about SNA or X.25 ... and my wife went w/X.25. The SNA
forces then went into action ... which resulted in my wife being
replaced (trying to tip the balance back to SNA). It didn't do any
good since amadeus went with X.25 anyway.

a hard-copy amadeus design document has a date: 24apr87 (almost 20
years ago)

a couple recent posts about other similar run-ins
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#21 SNA/VTAM for NSFNET
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006x.html#8 vmshare

misc. past posts mentioning amadeus
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001g.html#49 Did AT&T offer Unix to Digital Equipment in the 70s?