From: Bill Todd on
BDH wrote:

>> Well, yes, but given his attitude, I don't think that telling him will
>> make any difference! I will be impressed if he can pull it off, but
>> suspect that he will merely reinvent one of the solutions for the easy
>> cases.
>
> Yeah, whatever. On my list of choices for things to do when I have time
> it goes. Yes, the actual solution takes little time, but even writing
> it down can take a while.

I've heard of 'Napoleon complexes', but I believe this is the first time
I've ever encountered a 'Fermat complex'.

- bill

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on
eugene(a)cse.ucsc.edu (Eugene Miya) writes:
> I know it's sitting at the Museum.

email not long before we got told that the project was being
transferred and we weren't suppose to work on anything with more than
four processors.

it turned out that there was major product announcement later, but it
was by kingston, not us, and we never did do any scale-up
announcements. if you have anything in the computer museum, it didn't
from us.

previous cluster-in-a-rack/medusa refs:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#13 IBM sues maker of Intel-based Mainframe clones
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#14 IBM sues maker of Intel-based Mainframe clones
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#20 cluster-in-a-rack
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#26 Why so little parallelism?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#38 Why so little parallelism?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#39 Why so little parallelism?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#40 Why so little parallelism?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#41 Why so little parallelism?

as several previous references, here is old references to the meeting
at oracle
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/95.html#13
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/96.html#15

From: wheeler
Date: 29 January 1992, 16:28:48 PST
Subject: "cluster computing"

I believe we got a charter last week to do generalized "cluster
computing" with both horizontal growth and availability. We are going
full steam ahead now with plans for major product announce directions
in 6-8 weeks.

Hester gave Larry Ellison (pres. of Oracle) some general "technology
directions".

I'm now in the middle with nailing down overall ... total computing
system environment ... for that year end time frame (database,
horizontal growth, availability, connectivity, function, fileserving,
applications, system management, enterprise wide services, etc, etc).

I wasn't able to make the LLNL meeting tues & weds. this week ... but
XXXXX and YYYYY came by this afternoon (after the meeting).

YYYYY had already put together pictures of the visionary direction
(i.e. for LLNL national storage center) titled "DATAstore" with NSC
providing a generalized fabric switch/router with lots of things
connected to it ... both directly & fully-meshed and in
price/performance hierarchy ... that had HA/6000 as the controlling
central "brains". He effectively said I can get a generalized NSC
switch/router built off combining current NSC/DX technology (including
the RISC/6000 SLA interface) and their HiPPI switch by 2nd qtr. By ye
he should have for me a generalized switch fabric (called UNIswitch)
that has variety of "port" boards

* Sonet,
* FDDI,
* ESCON,
* FCS,
* serial HiPPI,
* parallel HiPPI,
* NSC/DX

In theory, anything coming in any port ... can come out any other
port.

Also, YYYYY has built into the "switch fabric" a "security"
cross-matrix function that can limit who can talk to who
(i.e. otherwise the default fabric is fully-meshed environment,
everybody can talk to everybody). I can use this for the HA "I/O
fencing" function ... which is absolutely necessary for going
greater than two-way.

XXXXX brought up the fact that we have a larger "scope" here and that
immediately there are about a dozen large "hot Unitree" activities
going on at the moment and that (at least) we three will have to
coordinate. One of them is the current LLNL physical data repository
technical testbed ... but there are two other production environments
at LLNL that have to be addressed in parallel with this work ... and
there are another 9 or so locations that we also have to address.

In addition, both NSC and DISCOS have been having some fairly close
dealings with Cornell ... both Cornell proper and also with regard to
the bid on the NSF stuff. Also the Grummen SI stuff for
Nasa/Huntsville came up.

ZZZZZ was also in town visiting Almaden about some multi-media stuff
.... and I invited him to sit in on the meeting with YYYYY and
XXXXX. That gave us the opportunity to discuss a whole other series of
opportunities (like at Cargil(sp?)). The tie-in at Discos is
interesting since General Atomics also operates the UCSD
supercomputing center ... and at least two of the papers at last fall
SOSP on multi-media filesystem requirements were from UCSD (XXXXX
knows the people doing the work).

Also in the discussions with XXXXX about Unitree development we
covered various things that WWWWW (LLNL) had brought up in the past
couple days (off line) and the Cummings Group stuff (NQS-exec, network
caching, log-structured filesystem, etc). XXXXX wants to have two
3-way meetings now ... one between WWWWW, XXXXX and me ... in addition
to the 3-way (or possibly 4-way) meeting between Cummings, XXXXX, and
me.

This is all the visionary stuff that we sort of ran thru for the total
computing environment that we would like to have put together for next
year (hardware, software, distributed, networking, system management,
commercial, technical, filesystems, information management).
Effectively YYYYY, XXXXX, and I came out of the meeting with
ground-work platform for both hardware & software to take over the
whole worlds' computing environment. Little grandiose, but we will be
chipping away at it in nice manageable business justified
"chunks/deliverables".

This is consistent with an overall theme and a series of whitepapers
that we have an outside consultant working on (was one of the founders
of Infoworld and excellent "tech writer") ... talking about the
computing vision associated with "cluster computing" (which includes
the MEDUSA stuff ... and HA/MEDUSA being base for HA/6000 scaleup).

.... snip ...

and of course, we were producing a product ... misc. past posts
mentioning
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#hacmp

the reference to enterprise wide services was part of our 3-tier
architecture ... misc. recent postings
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006u.html#55 What's a mainframe?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#10 What's a mainframe?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#14 In Search of Stupidity
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#35 What's a mainframe?

and past collected postings mentioning 3-tier
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#3tier

for other relational drift and scale-up
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004d.html#6 Memory Affinity

and couple other old rdbms/oracle references:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004o.html#40 Facilities "owned" by MVS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000e.html#49 How did Oracle get started?

and, of course, misc. and sundry posts about system/r
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#systemr

part of ha/cmp scaleup was work on distributed lock manager ...
misc past posts:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000.html#64 distributed locking patents
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000g.html#32 Multitasking and resource sharing
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001.html#40 Disk drive behavior
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001c.html#66 KI-10 vs. IBM at Rutgers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001e.html#2 Block oriented I/O over IP
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001e.html#4 Block oriented I/O over IP
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001f.html#22 Early AIX including AIX/370
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001i.html#21 3745 and SNI
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001i.html#30 IBM OS Timeline?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001j.html#17 I hate Compaq
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001j.html#47 OT - Internet Explorer V6.0
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001k.html#5 OT - Internet Explorer V6.0
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001k.html#18 HP-UX will not be ported to Alpha (no surprise)exit
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001l.html#5 mainframe question
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001l.html#8 mainframe question
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001l.html#17 mainframe question
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001n.html#23 Alpha vs. Itanic: facts vs. FUD
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002b.html#36 windows XP and HAL: The CP/M way still works in 2002
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002b.html#37 Poor Man's clustering idea
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002d.html#31 2 questions: diag 68 and calling convention
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002e.html#67 Blade architectures
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002e.html#71 Blade architectures
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002f.html#1 Blade architectures
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002f.html#4 Blade architectures
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002f.html#5 Blade architectures
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002f.html#6 Blade architectures
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002f.html#17 Blade architectures
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002k.html#8 Avoiding JCL Space Abends
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002m.html#21 Original K & R C Compilers
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002n.html#27 why does wait state exist?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002o.html#14 Home mainframes
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003c.html#53 HASP assembly: What the heck is an MVT ABEND 422?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003d.html#2 IBM says AMD dead in 5yrs ... -- Microsoft Monopoly vs. IBM
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003d.html#8 IBM says AMD dead in 5yrs ... -- Microsoft Monopoly vs. IBM
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003d.html#54 Filesystems
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003h.html#35 UNIX on LINUX on VM/ESA or z/VM
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003i.html#70 A few Z990 Gee-Wiz stats
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003k.html#10 What is timesharing, anyway?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003k.html#17 Dealing with complexity
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004c.html#53 defination of terms: "Application Server" vs. "Transaction Server"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004d.html#72 ibm mainframe or unix
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004i.html#1 Hard disk architecture: are outer cylinders still faster than inner cylinders?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004i.html#2 New Method for Authenticated Public Key Exchange without Digital Certificates
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004i.html#8 Hard disk architecture: are outer cylinders still faster than inner cylinders?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004m.html#0 Specifying all biz rules in relational data
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004m.html#5 Tera
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004q.html#10 [Lit.] Buffer overruns
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004q.html#37 A Glimpse into PC Development Philosophy
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004q.html#70 CAS and LL/SC
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004q.html#71 will there every be another commerically signficant new ISA?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005.html#40 clusters vs shared-memory (was: Re: CAS and LL/SC (was Re: High Level Assembler for MVS & VM & VSE))
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005.html#55 Foreign key in Oracle Sql
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005b.html#1 Foreign key in Oracle Sql
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005f.html#18 Is Supercomputing Possible?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005f.html#32 the relational model of data objects *and* program objects
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005h.html#26 Crash detection by OS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005h.html#28 Crash detection by OS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005i.html#42 Development as Configuration
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005m.html#8 IBM's mini computers--lack thereof
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005q.html#49 What ever happened to Tandem and NonStop OS ?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005r.html#23 OS's with loadable filesystem support?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005u.html#38 Mainframe Applications and Records Keeping?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006b.html#8 Free to good home: IBM RT UNIX
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006c.html#8 IBM 610 workstation computer
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006c.html#41 IBM 610 workstation computer
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006d.html#14 IBM 610 workstation computer
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006j.html#20 virtual memory
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006o.html#24 computational model of transactions
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006o.html#32 When Does Folklore Begin???
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006o.html#33 When Does Folklore Begin???
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006o.html#62 Greatest Software, System R
From: Nicholas King on
BDH wrote:

>> Well, yes, but given his attitude, I don't think that telling him will
>> make any difference! I will be impressed if he can pull it off, but
>> suspect that he will merely reinvent one of the solutions for the easy
>> cases.
>
> Yeah, whatever. On my list of choices for things to do when I have time
> it goes. Yes, the actual solution takes little time, but even writing
> it down can take a while.

Writing down the solution is part of solving it. If you can't solve it
and write it down with 20 minutes then you can simply claim arbitrary
extra time to solve it whilst you are writing it down.

However personally i think your claim is a load of bullshit since i
could easily just give you any problem from the class of P-Complete
languages which are thought to be inherently sequential.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-complete
From: ChrisQuayle on
Eugene Miya wrote:

> Whose books? Foley and Van Dam, etc.?
> Newman and Sproull?

I have Foley & Van Dam, Hearn & Baker, Burger & Gillies and others, but
the problem with all these books is that they assume a machine with lots
of resources. Being a complete newbie to graphics programming and having
bought the books on graphics, I was soon out buying s/h books on math
for revision - stuff I hadn't looked at for years. If you are working
with low throughput processors, this leads on to books on approximations
and techniques thereof. Books from the 60's/70's/80's, when graphics was
really hard work in performance terms. This leads one to stuff like
cordic etc, but none of this is as fast as scaled integer arithmetic ^ 2
and lookup tables for the transcendental functions.

Oh yes, and ABE books is your friend :-)...

> Are these pixels aliased or anti-aliased?

For a lot of embedded work, you don't have the cpu throughput to support
anti aliasing, so it's one bit per pixel. You get round the problem of
aliasing by designing the screen layout to avoid visible aliasing, or
choose shapes that don't cause the problem in the first place.

> I have friends who are looking to hire graphics talent, but they are
> finding that the talent pool is drying up because the perception is that
> graphics is a "solved" problem. They are not even finding it in India
> and China. The normal computing channels have guys who think they don't
> know graphics and art, and they more than enough graphics arts people,
> but fewer and fewer in the technical coding aspects.

Well, perhaps the problem of graphics is solved in terms of low cost
hardware accelerated boards and libraries to drive them, available at
low cost to all, but one would hope that this doesn't mean the end of
basic research...

Chris

From: BDH on
> Writing down the solution is part of solving it. If you can't solve it
> and write it down with 20 minutes then you can simply claim arbitrary
> extra time to solve it whilst you are writing it down.

You wouldn't say somebody needs to write an algorithm in assembly for
it to be done. You shouldn't say somebody needs to write it in any
programming language for it to be done. Why should you say somebody
should have to write it in English?

> However personally i think your claim is a load of bullshit since i
> could easily just give you any problem from the class of P-Complete
> languages which are thought to be inherently sequential.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-complete

Well that is an interesting link. I didn't know there was a
parallelization counterpart to NP-complete! No, I can't see a way to
parallelize those P-complete problems, at least with non-quantum
computers that can physically exist. But I thought "I can't do
something if it's impossible" was implied.