From: BDH on
> Think Dirichlet tesselation for a simple example of a foul task for
> splitting; unless you know a fair amount about the data distribution,
> you will always have problems.

If you can't partition finding distance triplets, then you're storing
your data wrong for exploitation of locality.

From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <1166236948.765013.61290(a)t46g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"BDH" <bhauth(a)gmail.com> writes:

|> > Think Dirichlet tesselation for a simple example of a foul task for
|> > splitting; unless you know a fair amount about the data distribution,
|> > you will always have problems.
|>
|> If you can't partition finding distance triplets, then you're storing
|> your data wrong for exploitation of locality.

And you are claiming that you can always work out an optimal data
partitioning in 20 minutes?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: BDH on

> |> If you can't partition finding distance triplets, then you're storing
> |> your data wrong for exploitation of locality.
>
> And you are claiming that you can always work out an optimal data
> partitioning in 20 minutes?

I claimed I could see *how* a *decent* partition *could* be done for
the general case.

Maybe it's arrogance, but I consider myself a damn fine algorithm
designer, and some days am miffed at how little good it's done me.

From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <1166268405.965668.182760(a)n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,

|> > And you are claiming that you can always work out an optimal data
|> > partitioning in 20 minutes?
|>
|> I claimed I could see *how* a *decent* partition *could* be done for
|> the general case.

OK. Now please put up or shut up. Let's see a write-up of your design.
In other words, publish OR be damned as a blowhard.

|> Maybe it's arrogance, but I consider myself a damn fine algorithm
|> designer, and some days am miffed at how little good it's done me.

Well, some of us are considered quite good algorithm designers by other
people, and it hasn't done us a lot of good, so why should you expect
your self-appreciation to matter?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: BDH on
> |> I claimed I could see *how* a *decent* partition *could* be done for
> |> the general case.
>
> OK. Now please put up or shut up. Let's see a write-up of your design.
> In other words, publish OR be damned as a blowhard.

That's an unsolved problem?

> Well, some of us are considered quite good algorithm designers by other
> people, and it hasn't done us a lot of good, so why should you expect
> your self-appreciation to matter?

Don't, just the reason for some of my posting.