From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <1166270992.352425.37640(a)t46g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"BDH" <bhauth(a)gmail.com> writes:

|> [ Parallel Dirichlet tesselation ]

|> > OK. Now please put up or shut up. Let's see a write-up of your design.
|> > In other words, publish OR be damned as a blowhard.
|>
|> That's an unsolved problem?

Yes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Thomas Lindgren on

nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) writes:

> In article <1166270992.352425.37640(a)t46g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> "BDH" <bhauth(a)gmail.com> writes:
> |>
> |> [ Parallel Dirichlet tesselation ]

> |> That's an unsolved problem?
>
> Yes.

Well, you shouldn't have told him. The best way of getting an unsolved
problem solved is to present it as homework. (Cf. George Dantzig.)

Best,
Thomas
--
Thomas Lindgren

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."
From: Nick Maclaren on

In article <87odq49cp3.fsf(a)dev.null>,
Thomas Lindgren <***********@*****.***> writes:

|> > Yes.
|>
|> Well, you shouldn't have told him. The best way of getting an unsolved
|> problem solved is to present it as homework. (Cf. George Dantzig.)

Well, yes, but given his attitude, I don't think that telling him will
make any difference! I will be impressed if he can pull it off, but
suspect that he will merely reinvent one of the solutions for the easy
cases.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Del Cecchi on

"Thomas Lindgren" <***********@*****.***> wrote in message

> nmm1(a)cus.cam.ac.uk (Nick Maclaren) writes:

>> done for

>> design.

>> Yes.
>
> Well, you shouldn't have told him. The best way of getting an unsolved
> problem solved is to present it as homework. (Cf. George Dantzig.)
>
> Best,
> Thomas
> --
> Thomas Lindgren

You will be especially assured of getting a solution if you post your
homework to comp.arch

del

From: BDH on

> |> Well, you shouldn't have told him. The best way of getting an unsolved
> |> problem solved is to present it as homework. (Cf. George Dantzig.)
>
> Well, yes, but given his attitude, I don't think that telling him will
> make any difference! I will be impressed if he can pull it off, but
> suspect that he will merely reinvent one of the solutions for the easy
> cases.

Yeah, whatever. On my list of choices for things to do when I have time
it goes. Yes, the actual solution takes little time, but even writing
it down can take a while.