From: Peter Dow on
Suddenly today I noticed that my PC clock is wrong and running an hour fast
and upon investigation it appears that the daylight saving time which should
be being applied for my time zone, namely -

(GMT) Greenwich Mean Time: Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

is not now being applied even though I changed nothing and the option

[tick] Automatically adjust clock for saving changes

is still ticked. At this time of the year (April to October) British clocks
are put one hour forward, to GMT+1 or "British Summer Time" and usually
Windows XP knows when that is, and normally displays the correct time, but
suddenly no longer and my PC is displaying GMT+2!

How do I alert Microsoft that windows XP has a bug and needs an update?

From: Unknown on
May be a server problem. Try a different time server.

From: Bob Lucas on
I am also in the UK. Both of my Win XP computers switched to BST
on the correct date. There have been no other complaints in this
newsgroup, so I doubt whether your problem has been caused by a
"bug" in Windows XP.

Microsoft sometimes use the Windows Update system, when specified
territories introduce new dates for Daylight Saving Time. I
don't think there have been any changes that affect the UK or
other European countries. However, make sure you have installed
all critical updates?

Then, I suggest you check the following settings:

Open Control Panel / Date and Time.
Click on Internet Time.
Make sure the box labelled 'Automatically synchronize with an
Internet Time Server' has been checked.
Click on Apply
Click on 'Update now'.

Does your computer synchronise OK. If so, has the Update changed
the date and/or time?

If not, you could try alternative time servers.

By default, Windows attempts to synchronise with the server at
'time.windows.com'. Access to that server sometimes becomes
congested. If you cannot synchronise with the default server at
'time.windows.com', you can enter the name of another time
server. To do so, overtype with the alternative server name -
and click on apply.

You could try the following alternative servers:

uk.pool.ntp.org
ntp2.ja.net
time.nist.gov
time-a.nist.gov