From: vijuhegde on
Hi,

This must be a very basic thing, but I have been asked to submit a paper with extra hard returns in Word. How do I do this? Can anyone help me out please?

Thanks.
Viju

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
From: Shenan Stanley on
vijuhegde wrote:
> This must be a very basic thing, but I have been asked to submit a
> paper with extra hard returns in Word. How do I do this? Can anyone
> help me out please?

Ask whomever assigned this task to explain this task.

Essentially a "hard return" signifies the end of a paragraph. It's simply
pressing ENTER. The "soft return" is just a way to start a new line -
holding down SHIFT and pressing ENTER.

AFAIK - there is no such thing as an "extra hard" return - maybe they meant
an "extra" "hard return" - as in two hard returns at the end of each
paragraph?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: vijuhegde on
Yes, that must be it. Thanks a lot, Shenan.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/Need-to-set-extra-hard-return
From: Bob Lucas on
In addition to Shenan's reply, you can use the following method
to add additional paragraph breaks in an existing *.doc file.

This tip definitely works with Word 2003 and earlier versions of
Winword. It will probably work with later versions of the
program.

1. Open the document in Winword
2. Click on Edit / Replace...
3. In the 'Find' field, enter ^p
4. In the ''Replace with' field, enter ^p^p
5. Click on 'Replace All'.

If you want to see the position of every paragraph break, click
on Tools / Options / View. Check the box to show paragraph
marks.

From: vijuhegde on
Wow, that's fantastic, thank you so much Bob!

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support/Need-to-set-extra-hard-return