From: blmblm@myrealbox.com on
In article <ehstlj$8qk_005(a)s834.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
<jmfbahciv(a)aol.com> wrote:
> In article <1161796701.620075.134910(a)k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> wclodius(a)lanl.gov wrote:
> >
> >Gene Wirchenko wrote:

> >> [snip]

> >> They are? I used FORTRAN, back in the capitals days. The linker
> >> and loader were part of the OS. Many language systems used them.
> >
> >Of course they are part of the Fortran environment. They were also part
> >of the environment of any other language system that relied on them. A
> >(viable) (fortran) compiler must (be designed to) deal with their
> >conditions and influences (it is in effect surrounded by them) and the
> >result of using the linkers and loaders must be a code that must be be
> >usable within the system (including the OS) it is used in.
>
> CAreful. The linkers and loaders aren't separate. What is even
> worse is that the kiddies who think they know how machines work,
> are not aware of the reasons for linkers and loaders; they assume,
> rightly from their experience, that it is all one procedural step.
> This is a loss of knowledge that is happening right now.

It might be worse than you think: I'm not even sure they all
really understand that compiling has to happen (well, assuming a
compiled rather than an interpreted language). Tools such as Eclipse
(an IDE -- Interactive Development Environment, more on request)
compile on the fly as the user types (presumably so they can more
or less flag errors as they're typed) and/or automatically when
the user clicks the "run" button. I suspect this makes it easy to
not realize that this important step is happening.

--
B. L. Massingill
From: blmblm@myrealbox.com on
In article <ei271h$8qk_001(a)s765.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
<jmfbahciv(a)aol.com> wrote:
> In article <1162080057.213334.46970(a)f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> "Terence" <tbwright(a)cantv.net> wrote:

[ snip ]

> >Bill Gates spotted the software market future and IBM didn't; but the
> >costs of using Fortran for any scientific work are becoming ridiculous.
>
> <snip>
>
> What lanugage do you think scientists use instead of FORTRAN?

Belatedly chiming in to add a data point:

The scientist in the office next to mine (well, I think I can call
him that even though he works for an academic CS department, since
he has a PhD in a "real science" and works on large astrophysics
simulations?) mostly uses C++ and Java (with the Java getting more
use to write companion tools, e.g., for plotting stuff). IIRC, when
he was in grad school he thought about teaching himself Fortran 9x
so he could adapt and extend some old Fortran/FORTRAN code, but at
the time Fortran 9x compilers weren't sufficiently mature to give
good-performing code if the "new" features were used. So he stuck
with C++ (which he'd presumably learned from doing a lot of academic
CS as well).

There was a recent post in -- comp.lang.fortran I think -- by Richard
Maine in which he said (IIRC) that somewhere in NASA you could
probably find someone using just about any <something> language.

--
B. L. Massingill
From: Brian Inglis on
On 23 Nov 2006 12:47:17 GMT in alt.folklore.computers,
blmblm(a)myrealbox.com <blmblm(a)myrealbox.com> wrote:

>In article <4564B1BC.6D607D07(a)yahoo.com>,
>CBFalconer <cbfalconer(a)maineline.net> wrote:
>> Charlie Gibbs wrote:

>> > Indeed. It's even possible to get into resource allocation deadlocks
>> > if you don't have everything reserved ahead of time. In a mindset
>> > that insists that a job make it to completion once it's started, the
>> > trade-offs are a bit different. (Mind you, few people understand
>> > such a mindset these days - thanks to Microsoft, crashes and forced
>> > cancellations are accepted as normal.)
>>
>> IIRC it is sufficient to describe all non-shareable resources by an
>> integer, and insist on accessing those in strictly increasing
>> numerical descriptions, while releasing them in the inverse order.
>>

>IIRC you are right that if you give every resource a unique number
>and access them in strictly increasing order deadlock is impossible.
>But I don't think there are any restrictions on the order in which
>things are released. (Now someone can correct me if I'm wrong. :-)? )

Ideally, you want to reserve and release all resources as a set.

Brian.Inglis(a)CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
From: Peter Flass on
Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:

> my complaints with the os/360 convention wasn't particularly the
> resolving ... it was that the convention had the relocation address
> constants distributed thruout the executable image.

I think TSS collected them all into one segment.

From: Peter Flass on
Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
that caused
> problems when i did paged mapped filesystem for cms in the early 70s,
> it wasn't possible to just page map the executable image and then
> start execution ... the executable image had to be page mapped and
> then the linker/loader had to run thru (essentially) random locations
> in the executable image .... swizzling the relocatable address
> constants. this requires that some (nearly random) number of pages
> have to be prefetched by the link/loader and modified (before
> application execution can be begin).

Sorry, I missed this in my last post, why not just page-map the
executable and tag the pages. You could do the relocation withing a
page the first time it was referenced?