From: jmfbahciv on
In article <X_F9h.9403$6t.1832(a)newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
Gary Scott <garylscott(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
<snip>

>Much as I enjoy reading about the ancient history of my favorite
>operating system (VM). It has strayed someone in its relevance to
>Fortran. Recommend trimming comp.lang.fortran.

OK. I'll try to remember....but you guys are going to miss
some laughs.

/BAH
From: krw on
In article <ek9ok7$8qk_015(a)s1007.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com says...
> In article <1428.554T2490T5455895(a)kltpzyxm.invalid>,
> "Charlie Gibbs" <cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:
> >In article <ek6vq3$8qk_009(a)s989.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
> >jmfbahciv(a)aol.com (jmfbahciv) writes:

> >> It's worse than that. There is no concept of machine language.
> >> I've talked with people in newsgroup who think it is the ASCII
> >> that is executed. Using HLLs exasperated this loss of knowledge.
> >
> >I think you meant "exacerbated", Barb.
>
> Yes! Thank you. I knew it was wrong but couldn't my brain to
> work.
>
> > But maybe that's just another
> >of your eerily-appropriate typos; this loss of knowledge certainly is
> >exasperating.
> >
> >Malaproptimism n. The belief that everything will come out
> >all right in the wash.
>
> Is that before or after the dye is cast?

You're not supposed to use chlorine bleach on dark clothes!

--
Keith
From: Charles Richmond on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:

> [snip...] [snip...] [snip...]
>
> It's worse than that. There is no concept of machine language.
> I've talked with people in newsgroup who think it is the ASCII
> that is executed. Using HLLs exasperated this loss of knowledge.

Certainly, entropy and stupidity is increasing constantly.
The ignorance is *not* the disconcerting thing. The real
zinger is that those folks who think ASCII is executed...
do *not* want to learn any better. Many are actually
proud of their stupidity in such areas. There are cases
where I have witnessed this myself.

In the days of the EDSAC, the binary instruction code was
the *same* byte of information as the character code for
the assembly instruction. "A" was the binary for add. But
in general of course, the character code is *not* directly
executed.

From: blmblm@myrealbox.com on
In article <1428.554T2490T5455895(a)kltpzyxm.invalid>,
Charlie Gibbs <cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:
> In article <ek6vq3$8qk_009(a)s989.apx1.sbo.ma.dialup.rcn.com>,
> jmfbahciv(a)aol.com (jmfbahciv) writes:
>
> > In article <4slkbgF104q2hU2(a)mid.individual.net>,
> > blmblm(a)myrealbox.com <blmblm(a)myrealbox.com> wrote:
> >
> >> It might be worse than you think: I'm not even sure they all
> >> really understand that compiling has to happen (well, assuming a
> >> compiled rather than an interpreted language). Tools such as Eclipse
> >> (an IDE -- Interactive Development Environment, more on request)
> >> compile on the fly as the user types (presumably so they can more
> >> or less flag errors as they're typed) and/or automatically when
> >> the user clicks the "run" button. I suspect this makes it easy to
> >> not realize that this important step is happening.
> >
> > It's worse than that. There is no concept of machine language.

That was more or less the point I was trying to make, yeah.

> > I've talked with people in newsgroup who think it is the ASCII
> > that is executed. Using HLLs exasperated this loss of knowledge.
>
> I think you meant "exacerbated", Barb. But maybe that's just another
> of your eerily-appropriate typos; this loss of knowledge certainly is
> exasperating.

Indeed. ("Eerily"? well, appropriate anyway.)

--
B. L. Massingill
From: Gene Wirchenko on
jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:

>In article <1428.554T2490T5455895(a)kltpzyxm.invalid>,
> "Charlie Gibbs" <cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:

[snip]

>>Malaproptimism n. The belief that everything will come out
>>all right in the wash.
>
>Is that before or after the dye is cast?

Please do not be so mordant.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation: