From: Richard Maine on
Terence <tbwright(a)cantv.net> wrote:

> Restating original title. (again)

Restating original answers. :-)

--
Richard Maine | Good judgement comes from experience;
domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Gene Wirchenko on
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steveo(a)eircom.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:10:01 -0800
>Gene Wirchenko <genew(a)ocis.net> wrote:
>
>> jmfbahciv(a)aol.com wrote:
>>
>> >In article <1428.554T2490T5455895(a)kltpzyxm.invalid>,
>> > "Charlie Gibbs" <cgibbs(a)kltpzyxm.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>> >Is that before or after the dye is cast?
>>
>> Please do not be so mordant.
>
> I was looking for a pun that sounded good but I came up short.

You want good sound? Someone should tan your hide for you.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:
I have preferences.
You have biases.
He/She has prejudices.
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

Status report on project activities mentioned in email from
12dec73 in this post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#36 Why these original FORTRAN quirks?

involving porting various functions that had been implemented in cp67
with additional enhancements.

shortly after this email was written, I enhanced the PAM filesystem
support so for "small" files (with only a single data block) for the
FST to point directly at the data block rather than the FST point at a
(200 byte) hyperblock ... which in turn pointed at the data block.
This not only cut the physical disk space requirement in half (for
small files), but also allowed them to be accessed in a single disk
operation, rather than having to first access the hyperblock.

The changes to move the EXEC command processer and the CMS editor (and
other functions) into a shared segment was later picked up for vm370
release 3 and called DCSS. However, DCSS only incorporated a very
small subset of the CSC/VM virtual memory management changes, i.e. for
instance shared segments could only be loaded at fixed location (could
not float or be relocated) and w/o page mapped file system support,
the ability to directly map executable images ("MODULE") in the CMS
filesystem to shared segments was lost.

past discussions of cms page mapped file system support
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#mmap

From: wheeler
Date: Jan. 2, 1975
Subject: CSC/VM SYSTEM STATUS

This is to bring you up to date on the current status of the CSC/VM
system. The updates to create the CSC/VM system have been converted to
the latest system available from Burlingtion, Release 2, PLC9/ICR,
with R22 monitor/THI support.

Completed and in production use are the scheduling /dispatching
/paging changes described in C.S.C. report; Also running in production
use is multiple shared system/segments. We currently only have a test
version of VM/APL which makes use of the extended sharing support. By
the end of January the test VM/APL should become the standard
production version. A minor CMS change has been made to support an
alternate module format. This was necessary to support 'shared
modules', like VM/APL.

Also in the production system is the CP support for a Paging Access
Method (PAM). Unfortunately PAM has one drawback; some of the bits in
the CP SWAPTABLE have been redefined and are in conflict with the VMA
microcode support. I consider the VMA microcode change to support PAM
to be minor. In addtion such a modified VMA would be completly
transparent to distributed versions of VM/370.

Undergoing final production testing are page and swap table migration,
both of which have been described in C.S.C. report. Swap table
migration involves the writing of some of the page management tables
onto disk and freeing up the main storage that they occupied. Page
migration has been generalized over the drum to disk page migration
described in the report to handle all preferred paging areas. Page
migration will move low refererenced pages from the preferred paging
areas to non-preferred areas. Additional changes are being made to
page allocation on preferred paging disks to distribute pages evenly
across all disks of the same type.

A version of CMS/PAM is undergoing testing, but it has a drawback of
requiring a minimum of two 4k page records for each file. The first 4k
record contains a 200 byte file control information record and the
rest is unused. This implementation puts a high price on users with
many small files. (A 5 cylinder 3330 PAM area will contain a maximum
of 140 files compared to the current maximum of about 700 files).
Advantages include a five fold increase in maximum file size and
mini-disk size (a full 3330-11 disk accesable as one mini-disk). Also
a mini-disk is supported on any device that CP supports for paging,
including the 2305 drum. The current implementation involves few CMS
changes and continues to support the current mini-disk formats. For
large system users it becomes possible (and feaseable with page
migration) to use part of a 2305 drum for a CMS system disk. The most
higly used parts of the CMS system disk will fit in 1000 page records
(about the equiv. of 20 3330 cylinders) which is about 40 per-cent of
the drum.

The increase in the CMS nucleus size will enable highly used modules,
like the EXEC processor and the EDITOR, to be placed in a shared
nucleus segment. This implementation will be transparent to current
user programs. During CMS ipl the additional nucleus segments will be
relocated (via a VMM diagnose function) to the end of the user's
virtual machine memory.

.... snip ...

The "relocation" of shared segments (having the same r/o, protected
shared segments appear at different virtual addresses in different
virtual address spaces) has been discussed in some past posts ...
collection of those posts are pointed to here
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#adcon

The items mentioned as "swaptable migration" and "page migration" was
released as part of my "resource manager".
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#fairshare
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.htmL#wclock
From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler on

Attached is overview for CSC/VM system distribution (from 1975, sent
out to a large number of internal locations). In the past, I've
semi-facetiously joked that at one point I was directly distributing
to as many (internal) locations (from the 4th flr, 545 tech sq) as
there were total Multics installations (from the 5th flr, 545 tech sq)
during its whole lifetime.

recent refs
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#36 Why these original FORTRAN quirks?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#7 Why these original FORTRAN quirks?

The distribution overview also makes mention of including SPM from
POK which is referenced here
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006k.html#51 other cp/cms history

In the above reference, there is a copy of old email making mention
that an "official" copy of SPM had been distributed to me on
8/12/75. However, as can be seen in the following 4/30/75 overview, I
was included an "unofficial" version of SPM in my distribution much
earlier in the year.

From: wheeler
Date: 4/30/75
Subject: CAMBRIDGE VM/370 SYSTEM (based on vm rel2, plc15)

Contained on the Cambridge VM/370 distrubution tape is a set of
updates which provide performance and functional enhancements to
CP-CMS. File 1 contains CP changes. They compromize a set of updates
to existing CP source and macros. Also included are new source files,
new cntrl, and a new load exec.

File 2 contains changes and additions to CMS and CMS/APL. File 3
contains CMS changes to support disks in paging access method (PAM)
format.

Detailed documentation for any of these changes will probably not be
forthcoming for some time. Reference will have to be made to the
individual changes for a description of how they work. For instance,
the CP support for page migration is almost totally contained in the
new module DMKPGM. The CP support for PAM is contained in DMKPAM. The
installation of the changes from file 1 should prove to be relatively
easy. They are essientially a 'black box' addition to the existing
system. If none of the new functions are to be utilized, then all that
is required is a reassembly of the affected modules. No understanding
of their operation is necessarily reqired.

IMPORTANT: The VIRT=REAL option has never been tested and probably
contains many bugs. Also SET FAVORED with a per-centage has not been
implemented.

In file 1, there are UPDTC001 and UPDTSPM update files and AUXCMB
files for DMK modules and new assemble files. There are also changes
to maclib files. The CMB CNTRL and CMBLOAD EXEC are the control file
and load list. Also included is a CMBMAC MACLIB which contains the
updated macros. These changes comprise support for the following
enhancements; 1) fair share scheduler, 2) shared module support, 3)
paging access method (PAM), 4) page migration, 5) the autolog command
and 6) the special message function from POK.

File 2 also contains optional CP changes for new page device format.
The updates are UPDTCV3 and are applied after CMB. DMKFMT UPDTCV3
changes the spacing between records on the paging and spooling devices
(3330 to 110 bytes and 2305-2 to 500 bytes). DMKPAG UPDTCV3 contains
changes to specify the corresponding sector addresses. These are
included for compatability with the previous CSC/VM release. The
performance problems which lead to the increased spacing have been
rectified with PLC-15.

.... snip ...

The six major items listed in the above

1) fair share scheduler (shipped in my resource manager)
2) shared module support (extremely small subset shipped in vm370
release 3 as DCSS)
3) paging access method (not shipped in standard product)
4) page migration (shipped in my resource manager)
5) "autolog" command
6) the special message function from POK

I had originally created the "autolog" command as part of automating
benchmarks (along with the feature that automatically started
processes at initial boot)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#bench

however, the feature proved so useful for general vm370 operations, it
eventually came into wide use as part of standard processing and was
shipped in the standard release 3 vm370 product.

again, lots of past resource manager posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#fairshare
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#wsclock

The fair share scheduler, including various paging and performance
items, I had originally create as enhancements to cp67 as an
undergraduate in the 60s. Many of the features had been dropped in the
morph from cp67 to vm370. By the time, the resource manager was ready
to ship, I had added an implementation supporting "SET FAVORED".