From: Paul on
lbabus wrote:
> Looking to get a widescreen monitor for someone who is legally blind. Will
> the monitor make text look bigger or will there be wasted space? Most of the
> usage is internet and email. Please advise. Thanks.

Have the person with the vision problem, accompany you to a local computer
store. Visit the Best Buy and look at monitors together. What is the
cheapest screen, that this person can see in comfort ? That will
give you some idea how much money it'll cost to get them a monitor.

As Shenan points out, the 30" LCD computer monitor is about the best you
can buy. With a resolution of 2560x1600 pixels in native resolution,
it gives you 100 dot per inch resolution across a screen which is
over 2 feet wide. The monitor requires a video card with "dual link DVI"
output, to get the best image quality (without the distortions of VGA).
On Newegg, I can see one for $1160 that has good reviews. But
whether that expense is required, really depends on how bad
the legally blind person's sight is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005115

Paul
From: Gary Gary on
Text size is dependent on vertical height. The answer is to use a 22"
monitor (best value for money right now as they are often less than $100
used) and rotate it so its in portrait mode. (Watch the video of people
working at Google and you will see many, many workstations with 2
widescreen monitors in portrait mode.) Also, the font size of a 22"
monitor is larger than a 24" monitor being that the difference between 22"
and 24" is less than the resolution difference between 1680 x 1050 and
1920 x 1200. These figures apply to a 16:10 monitor. Many newer monitors
are worse: 16:9. Stay away from those obviously. If money is generous,
the largest font size you can get will be a 28" monitor as these typically
run at 1920 x 1200. Tigerdirect.com sell a lot of these for around $300.
They are not a high end monitor but if the user is not using it
professionally it should suffice. Lastly if the stand cannot rotate, and
most cannot these days, just buy an inexpensive (about $10-$30 used on
Ebay) monitor arm that rotates.

From: vinay on
Also you can increase the text size in IE8 easily for internet use. Most
other applications allow that too.
If you think reasonably priced 20" monitors are not enough you can try
connecting 2 monitors to the PC, instead of paying exhorbitant price for one
very big monitor.

Windows comes with a magnifier tool but it is kind of annoying to use it.

BTW, it is not a mania to want widescreen or bigger monitors. When people
have eyesight problems it is a basic necessity.