From: Shenan Stanley on
<snipped>

<it was old, not quoted completely, so...>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware/browse_frm/thread/222b89bbdfe94ce/
</end quote of entire conversation>

TD wrote:
> I still use my 15 inch square. WS is too big for close up work,
> IMHO.

And everything can be explained with the last acronym in that response...

"IMHO" <- in my humble opinion.

OPINION.

That's what it is about widescreen monitors, that is the 'mania'. I like
them, fills my range of vision happily and fully. My dual 24" widescreen
setup and my single 30" widescreen setup work great *for me*. Might not for
someone else - or they might not see the point in such large monitors, such
flat monitors, such bright monitors, such wide-format monitors. So be it.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Leythos on
> > So, why on earth, is everybody switching to widescreen monitors ?? I
> > can only see disadvantages. Takes up more desk space, too.

I moved from 2 x 21" Glass Monitors to 2 x 24" LCD wide-screen panels.
I have MUCH MORE DESK SPACE NOW and I now sit about 30" from the screens.

I find that the dual 24" screens give me a lot more area to work with,
since I often have 5-7 apps on my desktop at a time.

The older square LCD's/Monitors required me to work in a vertical mode
while the wide screen units let me work left-right, as I would normally.

I run both screens at 1680x1050 on DVI connections for a clear image.

Trust yourself.
From: Anteaus on
Actually, it be so we's can watch all those films we've pir- er I mean
purchased in the correct aspect ratio, matey.

From: lbabus on
Looking to get a widescreen monitor for someone who is legally blind. Will
the monitor make text look bigger or will there be wasted space? Most of the
usage is internet and email. Please advise. Thanks.

From: Shenan Stanley on
Widescreen or not isn't really your concern. A 20" widescreen and a 20" 4:3
screen will probably display the same physical sized text when in their
native resolutions.

What you want is likely a few things...

- Really large. 22-24" is where most people start, it's a price-break point
right now. If you can afford it - go with a 30" monitor.

- Lowered resolution. You want to get a monitor that *does not* have to be
put in its native resolution to have a clear picture. I know the Dell and
Samsung monitors have been good at this. I have several customers who have
bought 30" Dell monitors and run them at half the native resolution (native:
2560x1600, they use them at 1280x800) and they love them because they can
see everything easily and have plenty of space still.

- Brightness - you want a good monitor with an excellent contrast ratio.

If you don't want to use a lower resolution (really is the best way with the
larger monitors to get large text and keep everything proportional/easy to
read) - then you can change the DPI to a larger number, use large text and
icons and so on.

The widescreen is just the way of things now - nothing more. Think of it
like the warnings at the beginning of the VHS movies you could rent at one
time or of some TV stations: This movie has been formatted to fit your
screen. With the widescreen monitor - no need, but also you don't gain any
size on the movie (unless they happen to have a letterbox version or the
widescreen version and no choice of 4:3 formatted.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP