From: nandrews on
Thanks once again for all of your input on my problem.
I will give them a long and hard look.

One thing that may change the situation is that I can now connect with
HDMI!
However it needs to be connected AFTER the PC has started booting!
Obviously not an ideal situation and Dell are still looking into the
problem.

But I can work with it and the PC recognises the TV and immediately
gave a proper formated display (with round circles)!
It intially was set as 720p and I have now changed it to 1080p.

I will look at all your suggestions and see how they will improve what
I have now.

Thanks once again for all of your helpful responses.

Nigel

From: Benjamin Gawert on
* nandrews:

> But I can work with it and the PC recognises the TV and immediately
> gave a proper formated display (with round circles)!
> It intially was set as 720p and I have now changed it to 1080p.

Use the 720p resolution. Setting the resolution to 1080p on a 1366x768
TV brings you nothing, except that the image isn't pixel matching and
that the GPU has a higher load.

Benjamin
From: Elmer Fudd on
nandrews wrote:
> Thanks once again for all of your input on my problem.
> I will give them a long and hard look.
>
> One thing that may change the situation is that I can now connect with
> HDMI!
> However it needs to be connected AFTER the PC has started booting!
> Obviously not an ideal situation and Dell are still looking into the
> problem.
>
> But I can work with it and the PC recognises the TV and immediately
> gave a proper formated display (with round circles)!
> It intially was set as 720p and I have now changed it to 1080p.
>
> I will look at all your suggestions and see how they will improve what
> I have now.
>
> Thanks once again for all of your helpful responses.
>
> Nigel

I connect my computer HDMI to my Denon receiver which then connects to
the LG 1920x1080 Plasma and I get sound and 1680x1050 video over the
HDMI connection perfectly.

I just remembered the name of that utiltiy. It's called Powerstrip by
Entech. Check it out.

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/
From: nandrews on
Benjamin et al.

Thanks once again.

I see that setting 1080 when the native vertical res is only 768, but
that makes me wonder what the TV shows it is changing to 1080?

I had noticed some stepping in videos, both streamed and played from
DVD and hard disk. But there maybe many other reasons for that.
Hopefully if I run at 720p that will remove one of the reasons
excuses.

Thanks

Nigel
F.I.O Dell are coming to swap out the video card to try and cure the
boot failure when HDMI is connected,

From: Benjamin Gawert on
* Elmer Fudd:

> I connect my computer HDMI to my Denon receiver which then connects to
> the LG 1920x1080 Plasma and I get sound and 1680x1050 video over the
> HDMI connection perfectly.
>
> I just remembered the name of that utiltiy. It's called Powerstrip by
> Entech. Check it out.
>
> http://www.entechtaiwan.com/

That only helps when the TV does actually support this resolution, and
even then is only necessary if the TV doesn't provide valid EDID
information (basically a list with what resolutions are supported) to
the gfx card.

Benjamin