From: nandrews on
I am having great difficult configuring my Dell PC with an HD4350 to
show correctly on my Panasonic 32in LCD TV. This was to be the main
purpose for buying this PC!
There are very limited choices of resolution.
Choosing the highest resolution, whilst within the max for the TV
actually looks worse than lower. But that is the only res' that will
give the correct 16:9 ratio!
At some lower resolution than that the TV display actually goes black!

Not connected, but an additional problem, is that Dell have advised me
that this PC has a problem with Panasonic TV's connected via HDMI.
They say I have to wait for a new BIOS update.!

Is there any easy guide to configuring the card, maybe with Caralyst?

Thanks

Nigel
From: Elmer Fudd on
nandrews wrote:
> I am having great difficult configuring my Dell PC with an HD4350 to
> show correctly on my Panasonic 32in LCD TV. This was to be the main
> purpose for buying this PC!
> There are very limited choices of resolution.
> Choosing the highest resolution, whilst within the max for the TV
> actually looks worse than lower. But that is the only res' that will
> give the correct 16:9 ratio!
> At some lower resolution than that the TV display actually goes black!
>
> Not connected, but an additional problem, is that Dell have advised me
> that this PC has a problem with Panasonic TV's connected via HDMI.
> They say I have to wait for a new BIOS update.!
>
> Is there any easy guide to configuring the card, maybe with Caralyst?
>
> Thanks
>
> Nigel

I tried my 4870 on my 50" LG Plasma and it looked good at 1680x1050 to
me but I guess on LCD it is not quite the same. In Cat settings you can
choose custom HDTV resolutions, enable 1280x720 and try that, should
look fine at that res.
From: Benjamin Gawert on
* nandrews:
> I am having great difficult configuring my Dell PC with an HD4350 to
> show correctly on my Panasonic 32in LCD TV. This was to be the main
> purpose for buying this PC!
> There are very limited choices of resolution.
> Choosing the highest resolution, whilst within the max for the TV
> actually looks worse than lower. But that is the only res' that will
> give the correct 16:9 ratio!
> At some lower resolution than that the TV display actually goes black!

Maybe you could give away some more details? For example, since
Panasonic made more than a single model of 32in LCD TV the exact model
would be a start. Also, what is the native(the physical resolution of
the LCD panel, not the max resolution the TV can accept!) resolution of
your TV then? How is the PC connected (VGA, DVI, HDMI, Component, Y/C,
CVBS)?

Also, you have to switch off overscan in the TV's settings. Overscan
means that the TV zooms a bit into the image, and this means even if you
feed your TV at its native resolution the image won't be pixel-matched
and look awful.

Benjamin
From: nandrews on
Thanks to you both for your replies.

Elmer - I have just tried setting 1280x720 and the Panasonic screen
goes black! So it seems to be another res' which it doesn't support.
I would have tried your own 1680x1050 next, but as the Panasonic pixel
ratio is 1366 x 768 I don't think it will work.

Benjamin I thought I had given some of those details.

The Panasonic model is TX-32LXD80
The pixel ratio is 1366 x 768

The connecton I would prefer is HDMI, but as I said Dell have a
problem with that and say a BIOS upgrade is required to fix. So I am
presently connecting the Panasonic via a VGA adapter to the the DVI
socket and when necessary swapping that for the regular monitor
connected to the VGA socket, to recover the setting that worked.

I can get some resolutions to display, but they are all wrong for
16:9, so circles and heads look like squashed eggs (too wide!). All
except 1360x768 which as near as I can get to the Panasonic max and
have proper round circles. But then curiously the display is pretty
bad with fonts looking messy and colour fringes on some edges!

I don't seem to have any control of overscan, I assume from the TV
itself. The only settings on the PC connection are:-

Clock, H-pos, V-pos, Clock phase and Sync
R-Gain, G-Gain, B-Gain and Gamma

Does this give any more information that can help you diagnose?

Thanks

Nigel

From: Benjamin Gawert on
* Benjamin Gawert:

>> I don't seem to have any control of overscan, I assume from the TV
>> itself. The only settings on the PC connection are:-
>>
>> Clock, H-pos, V-pos, Clock phase and Sync
>> R-Gain, G-Gain, B-Gain and Gamma
>
> These are settings for the analogue input. Have a look at the HDMI port.

Here is the manual for your TV:
<http://tda.panasonic-europe-service.com/GetDoc.aspx?did=160559&src=3&lang=en&fmt=pdf>

Page 52 lists all acceptable resolutions for the VGA and the HDMI port.

Page 25 says your TV does have an overscan control in the menue. It is
in the setup menue (see p26).

Benjamin