From: JB on
Hello Community

IIS is how we deploy an ASP.NET web application.

The reason I ask that question is because I was told that .exe
files take up alot of memory when they run and the more times it is
called by multiple users the more memory it uses which is why
ClickOnce deployment is preferred over having users run an .exe file.

If I put the Windows application (.exe) on the web page and allow users
to access the Windows application by clicking a link on the web
page that executes a dos batch file that executes the Windows
application (.exe), if mulitple users access the Windows applicaton (.exe)
will the Windows application .exe take up alot of memory causing alot of
problems on the server that the ASP.NET it is called on is running on?

Thanks
Jeff
--
JB
From: Brian Cryer on

"JB" <JB(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Community
>
> IIS is how we deploy an ASP.NET web application.
>
> The reason I ask that question is because I was told that .exe
> files take up alot of memory when they run and the more times it is
> called by multiple users the more memory it uses which is why
> ClickOnce deployment is preferred over having users run an .exe file.
>
> If I put the Windows application (.exe) on the web page and allow users
> to access the Windows application by clicking a link on the web
> page that executes a dos batch file that executes the Windows
> application (.exe), if mulitple users access the Windows applicaton
> (.exe)
> will the Windows application .exe take up alot of memory causing alot of
> problems on the server that the ASP.NET it is called on is running on?

Are you talking about a direct link to the exe, so users click on the link
which downloads the exe and runs it? Or are you talking about having an exe
in the background which is triggered and run on the server?

If your link is essentially to a downloadable exe then it doesn't matter how
resource hungry it might be as the only resource hit on the server is the
bandwidth required for the user to download it, because it isn't run on the
server but on the local pc.

If your link triggers the application running on the server, then it could
be an issue if its resource hungry. In which case Mr Arnold's suggestion
might be a reasonable way forward.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian