From: maddog on
Hello,
I am running a Windows 2003 rc2 64bit edition server. Using IIS6.0.
Recently got this eror when tried to run an ADO connection to the MSACCESS
database:
"
ADODB.Connection error '800a0ea9'

Provider is not specified and there is no designated default provider.

/AdoConnection.asp, line 5
"
First thing i did was going to the ODBC and clicking 'Configure...' when the
'MS Acess Database' is selected, and got this window:
"The setup routines for the Microsoft Acess driver (*.mdb) ODBD driver could
not be found. Please reinstall the driver."

When i tried to download & install the Win2003 64bit Ms JET pack i got an
error that said something about the architechture and when i tried to install
the 32bit driver i got other error that my machine is other than needed.

I read in Google and found that there is problem to connect MS Access to
IIS6.0 in 64bit mode. It is very weird, how come Microsoft deploy Win2003
server 64bit and don't have support for Microsft Access ADO connection.
Perhaps im missing something?
Somebody told me to try downgrade IIS6.0 from 64bit to 32Bit,
I found an option to enable 32bit applications in IIS6.0 by using this
command:
"
cscript.exe adsutil.vbs set W3SVC/AppPools/Enable32BitAppOnWin64 "true"
"
But when I use it i get error on the web: "Service Unavailble".

Would thank for any help.
Dmitry
From: Jeff Cochran on
On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 08:07:01 -0700, maddog
<maddog(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>I am running a Windows 2003 rc2 64bit edition server. Using IIS6.0.
>Recently got this eror when tried to run an ADO connection to the MSACCESS
>database:
>"
>ADODB.Connection error '800a0ea9'
>
>Provider is not specified and there is no designated default provider.
>
>/AdoConnection.asp, line 5
>"
>First thing i did was going to the ODBC and clicking 'Configure...' when the
>'MS Acess Database' is selected, and got this window:
>"The setup routines for the Microsoft Acess driver (*.mdb) ODBD driver could
>not be found. Please reinstall the driver."
>
>When i tried to download & install the Win2003 64bit Ms JET pack i got an
>error that said something about the architechture and when i tried to install
>the 32bit driver i got other error that my machine is other than needed.
>
>I read in Google and found that there is problem to connect MS Access to
>IIS6.0 in 64bit mode. It is very weird, how come Microsoft deploy Win2003
>server 64bit and don't have support for Microsft Access ADO connection.
>Perhaps im missing something?

Perhaps Microsoft thought nobody using a 64 bit OS would be using a
workstation database... :)

>Somebody told me to try downgrade IIS6.0 from 64bit to 32Bit,
>I found an option to enable 32bit applications in IIS6.0 by using this
>command:
>"
>cscript.exe adsutil.vbs set W3SVC/AppPools/Enable32BitAppOnWin64 "true"
>"
>But when I use it i get error on the web: "Service Unavailble".

64 bit Server2003/IIS6 and 32 bit apps are not completely reliable.
Microsoft admits it and is working to make this better, but currently
if you need to run IIS and Access databases you probably should
install the 32 bit version of Server 2003. The alternative would be
SQL Server instead of Access.

Jeff
From: Jeff Cochran on

From: maddog on
Anything I can do with the current version of 64bit ?

From: maddog on
I investigated this issue deeper,
I found that my Frameworks 64bit cause the 'service unavailble' problem and
read that i need to reregister ASP.NET, but that is what i get when i try to
do it:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727>aspnet_regiis -i -enable
The error indicates that IIS is in 32 bit mode, while this application is a
64 b
it application and thus not compatible.