From: D.Duck on
Anyone else have strange things happen with Quicken Home and Bussiness 2010?

I just installed 64 bit Win 7 and loaded Quicken using and existing *.qdf.
It was working fine. I went to open it and it asked if I wanted to use my
last used >qdf. I click on Get Started and absolutely nothing happens.

So I select Use A different Data File. I select my same file and and get
the response Unable to Open Data file.

This or other strange things happening with 64 bit Win 7?

Thanks

From: XS11E on
"D.Duck" <Don(a)ald.net> wrote:

> Anyone else have strange things happen with Quicken Home and
> Bussiness 2010?

I'm using Quicken Deluxe and did the upgrade from Vista 64 to Win7 64
that came with my new PC, I have had no problems of any kind. I
suspect there's enough similarity in QH&B and QDeluxe that I should see
problems if it were Quicken's fault. I wonder if it's conflicting with
any other software you may have?

NOTE: You may have to delete ANY and ALL driver, programs, etc. from
Logitech to make Q run properly, Logitech claims to have worked on this
for several years but there are no results so far....

The Usenet Improvement Project:
From: R. C. White on
Hi, D.

I've never used Quicken Home & Business - for any year - but I've been using
Quicken in Windows since about 1991, whenever it switched from MS-DOS to
Windows. I've been using Quicken Deluxe for 2009 and 2010 in Windows 7
Ultimate x64 since the pre-beta version in October 2008. No problems like
the ones you've described.

In my many installations of Quicken into Windows, I've learned to "bail out"
at Setup's final screen. I don't let it start Quicken, and then go through
the "newbie" questions and let it find my .qdf file. I exit Setup after
UNchecking the "Start Quicken" button. Then I simply click on my existing
..qdf file - and let IT find my new qw.exe; this starts the new Quicken
installation with my current .qdf file loaded and ready to continue using.

That has worked in Vista x64 and in Win7 x64. I don't recall if I used the
same technique in WinXP, but I think I did. I don't know if it will work
with H&B, but I suggest you try it.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: D.Duck on
"R. C. White" <rc(a)grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, D.
>
> I've never used Quicken Home & Business - for any year - but I've been
> using Quicken in Windows since about 1991, whenever it switched from
> MS-DOS to Windows. I've been using Quicken Deluxe for 2009 and 2010 in
> Windows 7 Ultimate x64 since the pre-beta version in October 2008. No
> problems like the ones you've described.
>
> In my many installations of Quicken into Windows, I've learned to "bail
> out" at Setup's final screen. I don't let it start Quicken, and then go
> through the "newbie" questions and let it find my .qdf file. I exit Setup
> after UNchecking the "Start Quicken" button. Then I simply click on my
> existing .qdf file - and let IT find my new qw.exe; this starts the new
> Quicken installation with my current .qdf file loaded and ready to
> continue using.
>
> That has worked in Vista x64 and in Win7 x64. I don't recall if I used
> the same technique in WinXP, but I think I did. I don't know if it will
> work with H&B, but I suggest you try it.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (Retired. No longer licensed to practice public accounting.)
> rc(a)grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Using Quicken Deluxe 2010 and Windows Live Mail in Win7 x64)
>
> "D.Duck" <Don(a)ald.net> wrote in message
>> Anyone else have strange things happen with Quicken Home and Bussiness
>> 2010?
>>
>> I just installed 64 bit Win 7 and loaded Quicken using and existing
>> *.qdf. It was working fine. I went to open it and it asked if I wanted
>> to use my last used >qdf. I click on Get Started and absolutely nothing
>> happens.
>>
>> So I select Use A different Data File. I select my same file and and get
>> the response Unable to Open Data file.
>>
>> This or other strange things happening with 64 bit Win 7?
>>
>> Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I figured out the problem and the solution. I backed
my old Win 7 32 bit install using Acronis True Image and then reinstalled
the necessary files, qdf included, using the same program.

When the files are reinstalled the "permissions" are changed. All I had to
do was go in reset the permissions and I was off and running. I still don't
understand why it opened OK the first time, but never again until I reset
the permissions.

So we learn something new every day. There are a couple other apps that
I've had to play with to get them to work in the 64 bit environment. Slowly
but surely I'm getting there.

I increased my DRAM from 2GB to GAB and that has made a big difference. I
tend to open and leave open several memory hog apps at the same time and
leave them open. I'm really pleased with that part of the change. No more
waiting a few seconds while a minimized app is brought up use. If it wasn't
for the increased memory capability of 64 bit I don't think I would have
bothered.

I will have to bite the bullet and buy a new scanner. Epson just isn't
going to release 64 bit drivers for my rather old unit.

Thanks again for taking time to comment.