From: maps on

Some buds have talked me into Win 7 Pro Edition for the 670 Workstation
but realize there may not be drivers available for the integrated SATA
controller. Tried a Dell chat session but the rep quickly pasted a pre-
sales URL, and then I told her it was already sitting here on the desk.
No reply after that. END Maybe someone can help here.

-ed

p.s. is the dell.com website slow as molasses in Jan for you too?

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Some buds have talked me into Win 7 Pro Edition for the 670
> Workstation but realize there may not be drivers available for the
> integrated SATA controller.

The SATA controller is a part of the Intel chipset, which is an E7525
seemingly paired with an ICH5 or ICH5R. Intel has Windows 7 drivers
for this chipset.

Dell most likely used the ICH5R part in the Precision workstation, so
it's possible that it could be operating in RAID or AHCI mode. (Check
the system BIOS setup utility to determine this.) Should you be
operating in this mode, drivers may be required.

If a plain ICH5 is used, or the ICH5R is operating in parallel ATA
emulation mode, no driver is required. The operating system will
contain suitable built in drivers.

The Dell web site seemed very slow today from my POV. Perhaps they are
having problems.

William

Pages: 1
Prev: XPS M1330 Parts