From: Webbiz on
Hello.

Amateur hour Webbiz here. :-)

I'm in the middle of learning C# coming from VB6. Yes, it's a jump but
a guy's got to move into the 21st Century eventually. Besides, in my
past life (1980's) I was pretty familiar with C and C++ so learning
the language part has been a breeze.

However, .NET is a whole new world for me. Man, a lot has happened
since the ole API days!

While learning C# coding I'm getting familiar with my Visual Studio
2010 Pro IDE. Lots of strange files list that you have to get used to.

Meanwhile, I've got a book open for WPF and a book open for
Silverlight. I'm also learning how to use Expression Suite 3/4.

So what is my question you wonder? (maybe you don't, but it's a good
lead in than any, right?)

Yesterday I finally wrote a Windows Forms program to complete the
problem I was posting questions about the last couple days. It works
and I'm a happy camper. However I read in my WPF book that Win Forms
is a predecessor to WPF.

Using Windows Forms, did I just write code for something that is
already obsolete? Should I avoid writing Windows Forms code in favor
of WPF or Silverlight, or am I missing something?

As someone starting from scratch, would my time be better spent
learning WPF and Silverlight, one or both?

Let's say that I'm not young anymore and would rather not learn
something that is not necessary or pretty much being replaced if that
is what's happening with Windows Forms.

I hope my question isn't too dumb. I'm just trying to get the right
picture in my head to plot out my learning path.

Thanks!

Webbiz
From: sloan on
are windows forms completely dead?
no

would you be better off learning WPF instead?
yes
especially if you're starting kinda fresh.

> As someone starting from scratch, would my time be better spent
> learning WPF and Silverlight, one or both?

Do you want to be a web developer? Edge to Silverlight.
It not, you're not gonna be screwed either way. But my opinion, go WPF for
now.

This is just an opinion...from someone who has gone to a few TechEd's and
local user groups.

From: Mr. Arnold on
Webbiz wrote:

> I hope my question isn't too dumb. I'm just trying to get the right
> picture in my head to plot out my learning path.

If you want to be a .Net architect, then learn the basics before you
jump off into WPF and Silverlight. You get yourself a good C# book
first. And then you get yourself a good ADO.NET book. You use both to
learn the basics.

..NET is more than learning what is happening at the UI.

Form there, then you learn the following:

What is Object-oriented-programming?

(OOP) is a programming paradigm that uses "objects" and their
interactions to design applications and computer programs.
The key concepts of OOP are the following:

Class
Object
Instance
Method
Message passing
Inheritance
Abstraction
Encapsulation
Polymorphism
Decoupling

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming>

No matter what development platform Java, .Net or others OOP is OOP.

http://math.hws.edu/eck/cs124/downloads/OOP2_from_Univ_KwaZulu-Natal.pdf

What are design patterns?

Design patterns are recurring solutions to software design
problems you find again and again in real-world application development.
Patterns are about design and interaction of objects, as well as
providing a communication
platform concerning elegant, reusable solutions to commonly encountered
programming challenges.

http://www.developer.com/design/article.php/1502691
http://www.dofactory.com/Patterns/Patterns.aspx
http://www.pankaj-k.net/spubs/bookreviews/Head_First_Design_Patterns/index.html

And then you pull it altogether when you get whats in the link below to
see all the .Net technologies in action, along with the basics about
OOP(s) it will teach you how to code and use.

<http://www.dofactory.com/Framework/Framework.aspx>

The key is not learning WPF or Silverlight, which are only some aspects
of the whole .NET software development technology. The key to learning
..NET is do you understand OOP(s) and how to use OOP(s).

From: Webbiz on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 17:40:29 -0400, "sloan" <sloan(a)ipass.net> wrote:

>are windows forms completely dead?
>no
>
>would you be better off learning WPF instead?
>yes
>especially if you're starting kinda fresh.
>

>> As someone starting from scratch, would my time be better spent
>> learning WPF and Silverlight, one or both?
>
>Do you want to be a web developer? Edge to Silverlight.
>It not, you're not gonna be screwed either way. But my opinion, go WPF for
>now.
>

>This is just an opinion...from someone who has gone to a few TechEd's and
>local user groups.

Thanks!

Appreciate your thoughts. Helpful.

:-)