From: Tye77 on

As the title says, I'm running WinXP Home edition, Service Pack 3. I'm
having issues with my svchost.exe.

Specifically, I've been getting errors saying that svchost.exe has
encountered a problem and needs to shut down. I then have to go back in
and restart various services thru the control panel>administrative
tools>services.

Also, I've had issues with various services connected with svchost.exe
-k netsvcs not starting automatically, even though they're set to start
automatically. The different services vary each start-up, but always
include the DHCP client, Themes, and usually Windows sound, plus a
random number of other random services, all of them connected to the
svchost.exe -k netsvcs.

I'm wondering if there's an issue with the registry key for this
particular application, and if so, what do I need to do to fix it?

Or am I completely off-base as to this being a registry error?

I've searched the 'Net for days now, and I can't find anyone else who's
had the exact same problem with svchost.exe as I have.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

--
Tye77
Tye77's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/234902.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Db on
you might try running
msconfig.

then under the startups
disable all of them.

you may want to jot
which ones were
enabled.

then under services
"hide" all microsoft
services and disable
what remains on the
revised listing.

again, you may want
to jot them down.

then reboot and see
if the issue resolves.

db���`�...�><)))�>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

From: Jose on
On Jun 20, 4:24 pm, Tye77 <Tye77.4cv...(a)DoNotSpam.com> wrote:
> As the title says, I'm running WinXP Home edition, Service Pack 3.  I'm
> having issues with my svchost.exe.
>
> Specifically, I've been getting errors saying that svchost.exe has
> encountered a problem and needs to shut down.  I then have to go back in
> and restart various services thru the control panel>administrative
> tools>services.
>
> Also, I've had issues with various services connected with svchost.exe
> -k netsvcs not starting automatically, even though they're set to start
> automatically.  The different services vary each start-up, but always
> include the DHCP client, Themes, and usually Windows sound, plus a
> random number of other random services, all of them connected to the
> svchost.exe -k netsvcs.
>
> I'm wondering if there's an issue with the registry key for this
> particular application, and if so, what do I need to do to fix it?
>
> Or am I completely off-base as to this being a registry error?
>
> I've searched the 'Net for days now, and I can't find anyone else who's
> had the exact same problem with svchost.exe as I have.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.
>
> --
> Tye77
> Tye77's Profile:http://forums.techarena.in/members/234902.htm
> View this thread:http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1347681.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

As I think you are aware, there are things running under the multiple
svchost processes you might see in TM (but you can't see what!).

Malicious software knows this too and may hide something under one of
your svchost processes, so you should try to be reasonably sure you
are clear of malicious software first, then address any remaining
issues.

If you are getting errors, you need to tell us what the errors say -
exactly, or take a screen shot (if you want to do that I can tell you
how).

I am not sure why sometimes people automatically start thinking they
have a registry problem when things are not going smoothly. I would
start with the easy and most likely stuff first. It could be
something in the registry, but it is probably something else.

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining
issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

Here is my standard copy/paste to help with the understanding of
svchost (you may already know this).

.... get Process Explorer so you can see what is "really" running,
expecially behind those multiple svchosts you see running in Task
Manager. You'll like PE when you get the hang of it. PE is the
Windows Task manager on steroids. PE installs nothing, add no
additional overhead to your system and runs on demand.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Expand the columns, make the screen bigger, etc. so you can see the
most information in the window.

The CPU column is usually the most interesting to get started with
performance issues - who is using the most? It is okay and normal to
have multiple svchost processes running, but there could be a problem
behind any one of them.

This will help once you get PE running:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial129.html

Or, you might try running msconfig.