From: 123Jim on

"Michael Shergold" <michael.shergold(a)clara.net> wrote in message
> Both my drives (G: & H:) are fine and work perfectly once disks are loaded
> but I can no longer change disks while operating XP.
> I have to re-start XP and change the disks before XP starts..
> They work perfectly under Linux (Mint8) although that is no longer
> installed and I've recently tested using the LIVE CD
>
> I've today disabled all start-up programs, re-booted and killed some
> processes that might be causing a problem but to no avail.. This has been
> happening for at least six months so I suspect some update at some has
> caused the problem.. The machine is fully up to date and so is the
> antivirus (Avast) definitions and scans etc. Both drive normally have a
> RAM drive and a R/W CD in which I uses for important backups and downloads
> so I rarely use the eject button but needed to yesterday again as I was
> installing NAS software from CD etc..
> Googling on the problem led to several hits but all assuming drive
> mechanical or electrical failure.. That is not my case.
> Any other suggestions please..
> Michael

Try this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdrom-lock/
It should allow you to open your drives in a windows GUI way.

I suppose you have already tried to update the drivers in device manager ..
probably there is no update available. .. anyway, above is a reasonable work
around until one day windows gives you back your button ;)