From: Pat Brown on
I installed 7, now trying to install xp as a dual boot. I need to install
SATA drivers via F6 during the XP install through Floopy Drive A. The
problem is - I have no floppy drive. Do I have to go buy and install one? Is
there a way around this?
Now here is a weird side note....My Win 7 device manager says I DO have
a floppy drive and its working properly, also "my Computer" shows I have one
also. Whats up with that??
Thanks, Pat

From: Shenan Stanley on
Pat Brown wrote:
> I installed 7, now trying to install xp as a dual boot. I need to
> install SATA drivers via F6 during the XP install through Floopy
> Drive A. The problem is - I have no floppy drive. Do I have to go
> buy and install one? Is there a way around this?
> Now here is a weird side note....My Win 7 device manager says I
> DO have a floppy drive and its working properly, also "my Computer"
> shows I have one also. Whats up with that??

Turn it off in the BIOS, it will go away in Windows 7.

Get a cheap floppy diskette is the easiest. Integrate the drivers you need
into your installation media is next.

Personally - I would not bother with a dual-boot. I would either run
Windows XP mode or use VirtualBox to have a VM that way. Probably work
better for most people in the long run - unless there is some reason you
need direct access to the hardware of the machine.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: rcgldr on
> I installed 7, now trying to install xp as a dual boot. I need to install SATA drivers via F6 during the XP install
> through Floopy Drive A. The problem is - I have no floppy drive. Do I have to go buy and install one? Is there a way
> around this?

If there is a floppy cable connector on your motherboard, then buying
or borrowing a floppy drive is probably the easiest.

The other option would be to "slipstream" the SATA driver to create a bootable
cd-rom with XP and the SATA driver.

From: peter on
Now that you have your Floppy drive answers I thought
I would make you aware that the normal dual boot procedure calls for XP to be
installed first and then
W7. W7 uses a different boot manager then XP and XP will overwrite that W7 boot
manager and you
will only boot into XP.You would need to use your W7 DVD and do a start up
repair after the XP installation.
You did not mention 2 drives nor 2 partitions. You would need either one to
install XP..never install into
the same partition as W7

Of course you could always disconnect the drive that W7 is installed on and
install XP onto the other drive.if you have one
This does not change anything on the W7 boot sector. .. but it requires you to
either enter the BIOS and chose which
drive to boot from or if your BIOS has the capability to push F12 at boot to
access the boot order in a small onscreen box.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: glee on
The obvious alternative is to install a boot manager and install XP on a
second partition. Then it does not matter which OS was installed first
because they are hidden from each other, and neither's boot manager
comes into play for the dual-boot.

BootIt NG:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootit-next-generation.htm

--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Oct. 2002 - Sept. 2009
A+

"peter" <peter(a)nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Now that you have your Floppy drive answers I thought
> I would make you aware that the normal dual boot procedure calls for
> XP to be installed first and then
> W7. W7 uses a different boot manager then XP and XP will overwrite
> that W7 boot manager and you
> will only boot into XP.You would need to use your W7 DVD and do a
> start up repair after the XP installation.
> You did not mention 2 drives nor 2 partitions. You would need either
> one to install XP..never install into
> the same partition as W7
>
> Of course you could always disconnect the drive that W7 is installed
> on and install XP onto the other drive.if you have one
> This does not change anything on the W7 boot sector. .. but it
> requires you to either enter the BIOS and chose which
> drive to boot from or if your BIOS has the capability to push F12 at
> boot to access the boot order in a small onscreen box.
>
> peter
>

> --
> If you find a posting or message from me offensive,inappropriate
> or disruptive,please ignore it.
> If you dont know how to ignore a posting complain
> to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate :-)
>
> "Pat Brown" <pbo(a)warpdriveonline.com> wrote in message
>> I installed 7, now trying to install xp as a dual boot. I need to
>> install SATA drivers via F6 during the XP install through Floopy
>> Drive A. The problem is - I have no floppy drive. Do I have to go
>> buy and install one? Is there a way around this?
>> Now here is a weird side note....My Win 7 device manager says I DO
>> have a floppy drive and its working properly, also "my Computer"
>> shows I have one also. Whats up with that??
>> Thanks, Pat
>>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Device Location