From: pheasant16 on
AMD Athlon II X3
MSI 980 mobo
DDR3 memory

can't imagine other peripherals would matter, but will have a sata hd,
dvd burner, pci modem and old pci soundblaster if I can make it work.

Have both XP and Win 7 disks. Most of my programs are 5+ years old, and
made for XP. Still partial to XP after using both.

Will be a replacement for 8 yo desktop.

Most stressful task will be streaming online video to a HDTV.

What I've read seems XP drivers are still pretty much included and not
difficult to install.

Pointers on above ponderings appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

--

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
From: RayLopez99 on
On Aug 13, 4:00 pm, pheasant16 <kiava...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> AMD Athlon II X3
> MSI 980 mobo
> DDR3 memory

> Pointers on above ponderings appreciated.

I don't see any big problems...I had problems installing a clean
install once when using some SATA drives, when Vista first came out,
forget how I solved it, but it took two days to figure out. But I
would imagine Windows 7 would have by now ironed this out.

RL
From: Grinder on
On 8/13/2010 8:00 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
> AMD Athlon II X3
> MSI 980 mobo
> DDR3 memory
>
> can't imagine other peripherals would matter, but will have a sata hd,
> dvd burner, pci modem and old pci soundblaster if I can make it work.
>
> Have both XP and Win 7 disks. Most of my programs are 5+ years old, and
> made for XP. Still partial to XP after using both.
>
> Will be a replacement for 8 yo desktop.
>
> Most stressful task will be streaming online video to a HDTV.
>
> What I've read seems XP drivers are still pretty much included and not
> difficult to install.
>
> Pointers on above ponderings appreciated.

If you're thinking about using the system as a media center, Windows 7
Media Center is superior to Windows XP MCE.
From: Conor on
On 13/08/2010 14:00, pheasant16 wrote:
> AMD Athlon II X3
> MSI 980 mobo
> DDR3 memory
>
> can't imagine other peripherals would matter, but will have a sata hd,
> dvd burner, pci modem and old pci soundblaster if I can make it work.
>
> Have both XP and Win 7 disks. Most of my programs are 5+ years old, and
> made for XP. Still partial to XP after using both.
>
> Will be a replacement for 8 yo desktop.
>
> Most stressful task will be streaming online video to a HDTV.

Use Windows 7. The Media Center is way ahead of anything else, even XP
MCE2005.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk