From: CybrGuy on
Is there any reason to believe that Win7 XP mode would be any better at
dealing with an XP 32bit driver than Virtualbox or other third party VM
on a 64bit system?

I have Win7 HP 64bit and I want to use an older Palm Tungsten E with it.
There are no 64bit USB drivers for Win7 for this palm from the
manufacturer and they don't intend to create any. I tried installing
XPP (32) in a VB VM and the palm driver would not install. I was
wondering if "XP Mode" in Win7 would be likely to fare better. I would
just try it myself, but Win7HP won't run in "XP Mode".
From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 02:47:32 -0600, CybrGuy <none(a)none.inv> wrote:

>Is there any reason to believe that Win7 XP mode would be any better at
>dealing with an XP 32bit driver than Virtualbox or other third party VM
>on a 64bit system?
>
>I have Win7 HP 64bit and I want to use an older Palm Tungsten E with it.
> There are no 64bit USB drivers for Win7 for this palm from the
>manufacturer and they don't intend to create any. I tried installing
>XPP (32) in a VB VM and the palm driver would not install. I was
>wondering if "XP Mode" in Win7 would be likely to fare better. I would
>just try it myself, but Win7HP won't run in "XP Mode".

Possibly. All the VM engines are slightly different. You could also
try VMWare Player 3.

Your HP does not have hardware virtualization?

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: Bo Berglund on
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 02:47:32 -0600, CybrGuy <none(a)none.inv> wrote:

>Is there any reason to believe that Win7 XP mode would be any better at
>dealing with an XP 32bit driver than Virtualbox or other third party VM
>on a 64bit system?
>
>I have Win7 HP 64bit and I want to use an older Palm Tungsten E with it.
> There are no 64bit USB drivers for Win7 for this palm from the
>manufacturer and they don't intend to create any. I tried installing
>XPP (32) in a VB VM and the palm driver would not install. I was
>wondering if "XP Mode" in Win7 would be likely to fare better. I would
>just try it myself, but Win7HP won't run in "XP Mode".

I have used VMWare Workstation 6 and 7 and VMWare Player 2 and 3.
All work with USB devices very well (I am assuming that when you talk
about Palm Tungsten it is some kind of gadget that attaches via USB).
What I have used (without issues) so far is:
- Safenet SuperPro software protection dongle
- Memory sticks
- USB connected hard drives
- 3G Mobile Internet modems
- Printers
They "just work" when you connect them to the host when the virtual
machine is running and has focus. They appear in the guest as a new or
recognized device.

I think you will not have any problems with say Player 3 in this
respect.

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: CybrGuy on
On 1/29/2010 12:54 PM, Steve Jain [MVP] wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 02:47:32 -0600, CybrGuy<none(a)none.inv> wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason to believe that Win7 XP mode would be any better at
>> dealing with an XP 32bit driver than Virtualbox or other third party VM
>> on a 64bit system?
>>
>> I have Win7 HP 64bit and I want to use an older Palm Tungsten E with it.
>> There are no 64bit USB drivers for Win7 for this palm from the
>> manufacturer and they don't intend to create any. I tried installing
>> XPP (32) in a VB VM and the palm driver would not install. I was
>> wondering if "XP Mode" in Win7 would be likely to fare better. I would
>> just try it myself, but Win7HP won't run in "XP Mode".
>
> Possibly. All the VM engines are slightly different. You could also
> try VMWare Player 3.
>
> Your HP does not have hardware virtualization?

By HP I meant "Home Premium", the version of Win7. The box is a Dell
and it does have hardware virtualization, at least according to
"Securable", and it is "locked on".

There is no 64bit driver for the device, so I was hoping to use the
32bit VM to connect the device. The driver will not install in the
VirtualBox VM. I was wondering if a different VM, like Win7's XP Mode,
might be able to use the 32bit driver that IS available. My
understanding (or lack) of the bittedness of the OS doesn't help me here.

So, will the Host's bittedness be the controlling factor, or might the
32bit VM override?

From: CybrGuy on
On 1/29/2010 1:12 PM, Bo Berglund wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 02:47:32 -0600, CybrGuy<none(a)none.inv> wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason to believe that Win7 XP mode would be any better at
>> dealing with an XP 32bit driver than Virtualbox or other third party VM
>> on a 64bit system?
>>
>> I have Win7 HP 64bit and I want to use an older Palm Tungsten E with it.
>> There are no 64bit USB drivers for Win7 for this palm from the
>> manufacturer and they don't intend to create any. I tried installing
>> XPP (32) in a VB VM and the palm driver would not install. I was
>> wondering if "XP Mode" in Win7 would be likely to fare better. I would
>> just try it myself, but Win7HP won't run in "XP Mode".
>
> I have used VMWare Workstation 6 and 7 and VMWare Player 2 and 3.
> All work with USB devices very well (I am assuming that when you talk
> about Palm Tungsten it is some kind of gadget that attaches via USB).
> What I have used (without issues) so far is:
> - Safenet SuperPro software protection dongle
> - Memory sticks
> - USB connected hard drives
> - 3G Mobile Internet modems
> - Printers
> They "just work" when you connect them to the host when the virtual
> machine is running and has focus. They appear in the guest as a new or
> recognized device.
>
> I think you will not have any problems with say Player 3 in this
> respect.

USB devices work fine in the VM if they have a driver or if a generic
Win7 one will suffice. There doesn't seem to be one for this device and
generic ones aren't working. If you think the problem is the VM I am
using rather than a real hardware incompatibility that will likely
transcend the VM, I will try a different one.