From: Sandy G on
Anticipating new hardware with Windows 7.... I'm running VPC 2007 on XP now,
maybe a half dozen systems for various reasons, and I NEED the Windows 98SE.
I hear that 98SE does not run as well under Windows VPC as it does under VPC
2007. Is that true?

Any other reasons to prefer one VPC over the other?

From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:16:31 -0500, "Sandy G" <sandyg(a)some.where>
wrote:

>Anticipating new hardware with Windows 7.... I'm running VPC 2007 on XP now,
>maybe a half dozen systems for various reasons, and I NEED the Windows 98SE.
>I hear that 98SE does not run as well under Windows VPC as it does under VPC
>2007. Is that true?
>
>Any other reasons to prefer one VPC over the other?

Windows VPC needs hardware VT, VPC2007 doesn't.
VPC 2007 isn't supported on Win7 (though it runs), WinVPC is supported
WinVPC supports USB and "seamless" app mode, VPC2007 doesn't

Win98SE works, but as far as "not running as well" I don't use Win98
on either enough to have an opinion on it.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: Sandy G on
Does Windows VPC have "additions" like VPC 2007? Perhaps the problem I
recall is that Windows VPC had additions only for XP, Vista, and Win 7 -
which leaves out 98SE.

This is beginning to look like a good experiment ;-)

From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 22:30:08 -0500, "Sandy G" <sandyg(a)some.where>
wrote:

>Does Windows VPC have "additions" like VPC 2007? Perhaps the problem I
>recall is that Windows VPC had additions only for XP, Vista, and Win 7 -
>which leaves out 98SE.
>
>This is beginning to look like a good experiment ;-)

Windows VPC has Integration Components (IC), they are similar to VM
Additions.

There are no IC for Win98, only the OSes you listed, but you can use
the VPC2007 win98 adds in WinVPC.

Win98SE with VPC2007 additions works in WinVPC. It's all documented.
http://www.essjae.com/virtualization/default.htm
Everything you need except a Win98 CD and license is there.

From: Sandy G on
More answers always seem to generate more questions. Thanks for the info in
Win95 here and elsewhere. I have a VHD and VMC ready to go - with the
hardware virtualization off and a spare copy of VPC 2004 in case the current
additions (which work fine under VPC 2007) do not survive. I can't figure
how to tell which additions are installed.

The 98SE VHD and VMC are ready to go as is.

I was planning to uninstall the 2007 additions from the XP VHD/VMC until my
brain woke up. Can I use a single VHD in a dual boot system? I was planning
to keep a plain copy for the XP boot and make additionless copies for the
Win7 boot, but can the VHD be shared between the two OSes?